Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,

I am posting in here because I'm not getting solid feedback from my doctor about what to expect now that I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease. I also have a hard time qualifying the advice from my peers. Many of whom mean well but I don't know how much to rely on 2nd hand anecdotes or if the cure to all diseases can be found somewhere within Wholefoods.

So I come to you.

Over the past couple of months I have had vitiligo develop on my face. Initially I thought it was just graying hair because I usually wear a beard. The graying kept spreading and after closer inspection I noticed it was my skin that was pale and not just the hair. I went to the doctor and he said that Vitiligo is an auto immune disease and could signify other diseases. He recommended blood labs and after having my blood drawn my TSH levels showed a 36. The doctor then diagnosed me with Hashimoto's disease.

The alarming part of my diagnosis was the auto immune disease association. The doctor told me he knew to test my thyroid when he saw one auto immune disease because they typically come in pairs or sets of 3. Has anyone else been diagnosed in this manner? How do you know if you're a pair of diseases or 3? How much testing should I pay for?

I'm on week 2 of Levothyroxine 0.100mg. So far, everything feels about the same. But to be fair, I wasn't really aware of the symptoms before the diagnosis. How long until the medicine starts to take affect and what did you notice change?

Finally, I've never noticed my neck swell. However, most of the literature I have read discusses goiters. Are those a sure thing? Is there a way to prevent them?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Hi there. That's a pretty high TSH. Given that and especially because you are male and especially, especially because you are noticing swelling, you should really push hard for a thyroid ultrasound.

The medication can take up to six weeks to feel the full impact. Its likely what you are feeling are slow, incremental changes so it shouldn't feel dramatic.

Did they test anything else other than TSH? You should have free t3 and free t4 tested in the future to "dial in" your meds. Also, did they test antibodies?

Thyroid stuff can be a life-long pattern of lots of testing and lots of medication adjusting. Once you get used to it, its not bad, but it takes some time to understand results, your symptoms, and how to read/react to them.

Many posters report multiple autoimmune diseases. I don't know if I have any or not. I mean, I have allergies and had am almost full head of grey hair by the time I was 30, but who knows if that's autoimmune or just really excellent (note the sarcasm) genes. :)

Reactions: RobJon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the response and advice.

I'm pretty sure my labs showed my t3 and t4 within a normal range but I can double check at my next visit.

I go back to see the doctor in a month. I'll pressure for an ultra sound at that point.

Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts