Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I came down with subacute thyroiditis around May this year and immediately took action. I was put on beta blockers, and was told to avoid iodine. This was for a iodine test but I misinterpreted.

In my journey to diagnosis, I went what I think was low iodine, switched to AIP diet with some keto. I did this in case what I had was graves disease. Once they diagnosed me with subacute, I get the AIP, which is lower iodine going for quite some time. About 60 days or so, to conquer gut issues and be healthier overall.

As I got to reintroductions, I added eggs and fish back in. Then after a couple weeks I added seaweed. Then, the dumb part, I got kelp salt and an iodine supplement. I was feeling incredible. All my chronic issues were getting better, so it seemed the iodine was helping.

I took only two drops of the iodine, about a week apart, and its about 650% of your daily value.

I reckon over the about 2 months of bringing higher iodine in, I had 5000 to 7000 micrograms.

Well about a week after my second dose, all my symptoms of hyperthyroid were back (i had gotten back to euthyroid).

My latest test show tsh 2.22, FT4 1.7, T3 74. The doctors think I am nuts and am telling me its not thyroid! I have palps, high blood pressure, insomnia, twitching, high anxiety, thyroid pain, just like with subacute.

Either I have recurring subacute or iodine induced hyperthyroidism. At least I think so. Doctors wont help since I am not yet clinically hyper. I am on beta blockers. I am getting about 2 hours sleep a night.

I don't know what to do and am asking for help, support and hope. Should I go low iodine to counter my overdose, do I take ibuprofen for the pain, what low iodine information could I trust, and how would one avoid high iodine again for the rest of their lives!?

I have two young kids and am divorced. This is hard and no doctor believes me. I went to the ER a couple times as the symptoms were like getting bad. My ultrasound shows hyperemic but they said its thyroiditis. I never heard of anyone going back hyper before!

Please give me hope. Has anyone had this happen? If its iodine induced and clear of graves disease (they tested tpo but not receptor antibodies), then it looks like 1 to 18 months is the duration. For all I know, graves was induced here. Insomnia is horrible and I'm only on beta blockers. What to do?
Thank you!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd give up on messing with iodine. Iodine is necessary of course, but too much or too little isn't good. Just a little in your table salt would be fine. Some people can cause issues like you encountered by taking too much iodine.

I'll also say some symptoms can be similar on both sides of hyper and hypo. Kind of weird that way. I don't have a lot of experience with graves, but certainly cut out the iodine stuff. Just get a normal amount through normal stuff.

Are you back to normal on re-introductions for AIP? It's a short term diet and should be back to your normal diet (minus whatever you eliminated). AIP is a tough diet and can cause nutrient deficiencies. So be aware of that. Possible that could be causing some issues too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts