Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am recently diagnosed with what is laughably referred to as subclinical Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. My physical symptoms do not feel 'sub' clinical at all.
My TSH was 6.67 (elevated) normal 0.45-4.50 free T4 1.1 (normal) free T3 2.5 (normal)
TPO thyroid antibodies 606 (elevated) normal <60

I also have four nodules on my thyroid. Biopsies were done and they were determined to be non-cancerous metaplastic cells. They swell and go down randomly but likely will not ever go away. Also, the ultrasound results were that my thyroid is 'inflamed'.
I have recently started Synthroid 1/2 of a .025mcg tablet a day. That is a tiny amount. My trouble is that some days/weeks are really awful when my thyroid 'kicks back on' and starts making thyroid hormones itself. Of course, I have no idea this is happening so I keep taking my morning medication. Then I am getting a 'double dose' and am hit with all of the physical symptoms of HYPERthryoidism.

The back and forth hypo then hyper is horrible.

Before going on prescription medications I tried supplements for my Hashi's but it didn't work for me. My TSH continued to go up. There is every likelihood that I will need Synthroid for the rest of my life. That doesn't seem so bad to me except for the bursts of my own thyroid that overload my body. The anxiety, racing heart, other symptoms are terrifying.

My question to our community, has anyone had similar periods of back and forth, hypo - hyper? How long did it last, months, years? How did you manage it?
Has anyone had their thyroid removed to end the roller coaster extremes and get on with life? What was it like after the surgery? Were your physical symptoms more stable?
Thank you for reading my post and anything you can share.
Rebecca

·
Registered
61 Posts
You may want to read my post on using T3 only. I was utterly unable to manage my symptoms and came to near death due to it. Utterly horrible physical problems.

Getting off of any form of T4 was the answer for me. I manage my thyroid by feel, taking T3 six times per day. I keep my TSH near zero.

Quite simply, I have my life back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts