Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
following my previous post i just wanted to know has anyone has a choice to have their thyroid removed and had it done and regret it. I must add right now i dont know if i will even have to have it removed, but as my last scan indicated i have multiple nodules all over 2cm, my thyroid is enlarged and i have other health issues i think the ent will suggest it. if the ent does suggest it i just want to be prepared for what i should do. i find out hopefully at the end of this week if the ent wants to see me urgently or not

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Nope - I wish I had mine out sooner.

So much easier to stabilize on replacement than having a nodule infested thyroid and treating with anti thyroid medications.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My diagnosis then TT came really fast so I had little time to think about it. But even as I work towards feeling better post surgery with hormone levels, I know a few things.

One, my nodules were never going to get smaller on their own and they had started putting pressure on my throat, including difficulties swallowing and breathing when I was lying down.

Two, I didn't realize until after the surgery how AWFUL I felt. Having it done basically gave me my life back, I was hypo and didn't know it and fighting with adrenal responses.

The surgery and hormone balancing is a process. Personally I am glad I did it.

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
Nope, it's worked out for me. I struggled for 10 years to keep my thyroid and it made my surgery and my life so much harder than it had to be. It took about 18 months to find a stable dose after surgery and I've had to work out some adrenal and iron issues along the way (which take time) but I feel so much better. I'm still amazed by the amount of energy I have now as compared to my hypo days.

·
555 Posts
Jenny I wasn't hypo till now makes a difference I guess you've experienced both so maybe you are used to it I was hyper 4 years and really wished I had kept my thyroid life without it is a HUGE struggle for me I hate being hypo!!! its beyond DEPRESSING !!! seriously unless it's life threatening I wouldn't even think twice about it and go see a holistic doctor something I never did or even a doctor that just has time to figure things out one that's proactive and wants to check different things I've had to ask for every test from day 1 and actually diagnosed myself sucks being hypothyroid oh did I already say that yeah fml....

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
i have multiple nodules all over 2cm, my thyroid is enlarged and i have other health issues i think the ent will suggest it.
The risk of cancer is greatly increased with nodules of that size. Removal could save your life -

Multiple nodules of that size will also make it difficult to stabilize on thyroid hormone replacement.

Is it an important gland - absolutely! If it is filled with nodules - it does not work properly.

The doctor who made the video is a chiropractor - a very opinionated one, who also sells books - alot of them.

While he does provide some valuable information he is extremely slanted toward keeping any thyroid, diseased or not. I have to disagree with keeping a disease nodule filled thyroid - the risk of cancer is too great.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jenny I wasn't hypo till now makes a difference I guess you've experienced both so maybe you are used to it I was hyper 4 years and really wished I had kept my thyroid life without it is a HUGE struggle for me I hate being hypo!!! its beyond DEPRESSING !!! seriously unless it's life threatening I wouldn't even think twice about it and go see a holistic doctor something I never did or even a doctor that just has time to figure things out one that's proactive and wants to check different things I've had to ask for every test from day 1 and actually diagnosed myself sucks being hypothyroid oh did I already say that yeah fml....
I have been underactive since 2011 and was diagnosed with hashis around the same time. I must also note as i have had melanoma twice and have a rare disease called castlemans. When i lie down i cant swallow very well and my breathing is a bit crap, at times depending on which way i sit or turn my neck it feels like something is moving and then clicks back out again its gross. My ent has requested a biopsy and i need to see him on Thursday. i also believe that castlemans can affect my thyroid and i have one node growing on the right hand side (these nodes will continue to grow until removed).

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I would like to share a video
Thanks for sharing the video i started to watch it but think is based more on the side of you shouldn't have it removed but given my history and the fact i am not having it removed due to having graves or being overactive i think it is best i have an open mind and be prepared that is what my Dr will do, i am already on meds for life so that wont affect me.

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
shorty85, you seem to be very well informed and have a good head on your shoulders, so feel confident that you will make the right decision for you. You've got a ton of big nodules, difficulty swallowing and breathing lying down (which I had, too, it's annoying), and a history of thyroid problems. Don't be surprised if they want to remove it. But make the decision that you are most comfortable with--it will be the right one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well my cousin was once operated at Mount Elizabeth the whole family supported him all throughout I saw him fighting when he was diagnosed with a thyroid nodule too. I don't know exactly what the term is but all I know is that his thyroid got removed. He told us that before he was really struggling with the pressure on his throat but after the operation he seemed to be completely back to normal. The family was thankful to Dr. Ranjiv Sivanandan. He was very kind to my cousin and to us all throughout the process.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It seems most everyone on this site says it was the best thing they ever did.

I have talked to at least 4 woman in person while I was first diagnosed who told me no matter what I do don't let them take your thyroid out unless it is absolutely necessary.

Everyone of them said the same thing.

It was the biggest mistake they ever made and have regret it ever since.

Everyone is different when it comes to thyroid disease.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I think it "success" depends entirely on two things: 1) your ability to self-advocate and your understanding of how to medicate post-surgery and 2) your doctor's willingness to order the appropriate tests and offer the appropriate meds.

The posters who express regret and those who I have met in person don't have both factors going in their favor.

Reactions: jenny v

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
I probably would have regretted my surgery if I had stuck with my original endo. After educating myself on what I needed to do to feel better and what tests I needed to look at to determine that, I realized he had no idea what he was doing. I firmly believe that a lot of thyroid patients have to take matters into their own hands and search hard for a doctor who is willing to work with them. A lot of people don't want to have to put in that kind of effort or don't want to go against what the doctor says, but a lot of times you have to do that to get your best treatment. It was hard for me to do it, but after years of feeling like crap, I got over it, lol.

·
555 Posts
Something I have noticed after being on this board is that if you are doing so well post op why are you still here also so quick to give advice on removing it seems to be what I mostly see here when really helping someone save it would be best in certain situations yes be your own advocate and don't give people advice to remove their damn thyroid for graves disease cancer is different maybe even people with both graves and Hashimotos feel better post op people with goiters ect...but graves disease that is being managed well and could go into remission eventually no I want to help people understand that it's really foolish unless you are risking heart attack or thyroid storm just yeah I'm against it and best of luck to everyone going through this

1 - 20 of 32 Posts