Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an old member of this board but it's been a while since I have been here. I have noticed in the last few years Armour has changed companies a couple times. I have been on Armour about 17 years and still cannot get optimal. I'm wondering in 2022 if anyone else is having this issue. No matter what I do my labs are all over the place. Sometimes low sometimes TSH as high as 10. I am constantly anxious but if I lower my dose I'm super hypo and if I raise it I cannot tolerate it. I have in periods switched to Levo even Triosent. None of it works. I had RAI from Graves. Any suggestions are appreciated. I go back to my doc in the morning AGAIN :cry:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was on NP thyroid last year, after failing on Synthroid, Armour, Westhroid, Erfa and others. In the end, the only way I could remain 30% functional was to take it multiple times per day. This was the clue I needed, as I was clearly riding on the T3 portion of the drug and it's short half-life. Put another way, it seems T4 and I don't get along.

Also, I pay zero attention to TSH, as it may not be reliable. Even the FAA requires some thyroid patients to have TSH fully suppressed, as they understand fatigue and other factors can exist with a modest dose. As I've said in other posts, I am only functional with T3.

Also of note, exercise makes me have hyper symptoms for a time. So maybe what's circulating is not effectively used until I get a workout in.

Anyway, this is a long winded way of saying that I'm not surprised Armour is failing you. It only worked for me back when I was initially hypo, 25+ years ago.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Seems to me like it would be better to be on synthetic T4 and T3 at this point. Of course finding that right mix can be tough. T3 only is not the normal suggested route and can be tough to manage. Keep that in mind. Usually that's a last resort way to go.

Just too many issues with NDT nowadays as far as I have seen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts