Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
She agreed that I have BOTH Graves & Hashis. So we decided I would wean breastfeeding (I am only pumping now and due to low supply I have to pump two times to get 1 bottle (2 oz per pump). I will then get an uptake scan and see if it shows active Graves or thyroiditis. If it is active Graves, she thinks thyroidectomy may be the best bet. She doesn't want me to do ablation because of my eyes and same goes for Tapazole. I am scared of the uptake scan :( Thank you guys for your input. I am just so so sooooo over the anxiety. Speaking of which, she wants me to continue my propranolol to help with the anxiety or take the Ativan if I feel a panic attack coming on.

ETA: She told me my thyroglobulin wouldn't matter except POST thyroidectomy. Would the uptake scan show cancer if it was there? I forgot to ask.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,606 Posts
If it is active Graves, she thinks thyroidectomy may be the best bet. She doesn't want me to do ablation because of my eyes and same goes for Tapazole. I am scared of the uptake scan :( Thank you guys for your input. I am just so so sooooo over the anxiety. Speaking of which, she wants me to continue my propranolol to help with the anxiety or take the Ativan if I feel a panic attack coming on.

ETA: She told me my thyroglobulin wouldn't matter except POST thyroidectomy. Would the uptake scan show cancer if it was there? I forgot to ask.
All good advice.

I would ask for the thyroglobulin in addition to a sonogram before having an uptake test. If you have any concern - and you do have a baby so your concern is valid I think making a decision to remove with the sonogram, TSI and TPO antibodies would be enough for me.

Because you have eye involvement I would also avoid the RAI uptake - better safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lov I had thyroglobulin drawn last week. It was 146.2 (RR 0-42 I think). Do you mean have her draw it again? I want to see the ophthalmologist for their opion on uptake scan and my eyes.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,606 Posts
Lov I had thyroglobulin drawn last week. It was 146.2 (RR 0-42 I think).
I did not realize you had it - due to it being elevated - why bother with an RAI uptake? Has anyone suggested a sonogram of your thyroid?

Do you mean have her draw it again? I want to see the ophthalmologist for their opion on uptake scan and my eyes.
RAI uptake can affect eyes. In my opinon - if you are not considering RAI to ablate your thyroid then the RAI uptake is unnecessary.
 
  • Like
Reactions: a2bc2 and Andros

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a sonogram last Tuesday at the ENT. He offered PTU, wait it out to see if it was just pp thyroiditis, or thyroidectomy. Requested he send a copy to endo today.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,606 Posts
What did they have to say about your sonogram results?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Andros

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He said he doesn't do FNA bc of the hashi's it would come back inconclusive and he would recommend thyroidectomy anyways and that I don't have "true" nodules just "pseudo" nodules.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top