Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group,

Here's my question -- Does anyone think adding 5mcg T3 to 75mcg T4 could cause hypothyroid symptoms?

Here's the background -- I take 75mcg of Synthroid/levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I started feeling my thyroid symptoms recur about two months ago, and my doctor allowed me to add 5mcg of T3/Cytomel. This worked great for a while -- I felt less cold, had more energy, etc. But about a week or two ago I started feeling my symptoms recur, worse than ever. I am trying to figure out if this is simply a seasonal issue, or if adding the T3 could be causing the hypothyroid symptoms.

I ask this because an endocrinologist previously put me on 50mcg Cytomel *only*, which, within about 6 months, caused terrible hypothyroid symptoms, apparently due to the T3 "suppressing" my thyroid function.

Here are recent labs, which I don't think will be very helpful. Very small changes seem to cause big effects in me.

TSH: 1.160 (0.450-4.500)

T4 Free: 1.23 (0.82-1.77)

T3 Free: 3.3 (2.0-4.4)

Thus, my question, whether adding 5mcg of T3 to 75mcg T4 could cause hypothyroid symptoms, or if it seems more like a straightforward issue of needing more medication?

Thank you.

J.

·
Super Moderator
6,646 Posts
Your goal is to fall somewhere between 1/2-3/4 of the range for both FT-4 and FT-3 when taking synthetic hormone.

Thyroid symptoms overlap for hypo and hyper.

Ferritin and D levels should be optimal for best results

·
161 Posts
Group,

I ask this because an endocrinologist previously put me on 50mcg Cytomel *only*, which, within about 6 months, caused terrible hypothyroid symptoms, apparently due to the T3 "suppressing" my thyroid function.

Do you happen to have labs for when you were taking Cytomel only?

Here are recent labs, which I don't think will be very helpful. Very small changes seem to cause big effects in me.

TSH: 1.160 (0.450-4.500)

T4 Free: 1.23 (0.82-1.77)

T3 Free: 3.3 (2.0-4.4)

Your Free T3 is a tad low 3.5 to 3.7 would be more "optimal".

Perhaps you are reacting to a filler?...or it could be you are not "optimal" yet.

Have you tried natural thyroid hormone such as Armour or Nature-throid?

I agree with Lovlkn that Vitamin D levels and ferritin should be optimal!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wonder if it would be wise to get reverse T3 labs ordered in this case. Maybe reverse T3 is high and causing issues. I know it's a controversial lab though and your doctor may not agree to order it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts