Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing a range of symptoms but the primary two are rapid/excessive weight gain with no change to diet or exercise coupled with severe/chronic constipation. The constipation is really so bad - no change in diet, supplements or medication (prescription or otherwise) helps, the doctors have done scans and know there is nothing sinister wrong so they have sent me away. On the weight side I gained 1.5 stone in about 5 weeks, sometimes about 5 or 6 pounds a day in that timeframe and it really felt to me as though it was a reaction to something, my weight has been very stable all of my life.

I had thyroid tests done and they showed I have very high peroxidase antibodies but my T4 is just within range at 12 pmol/l - that's the lowest number on the normal range. My TSH shows anywhere between 2.5-3 in the last couple of months. My T3 is 4.4 pmol/L. Both my parents have hypothyroidism.

Is it possible to be so symptomatic when you officially still fall within the normal range? It "feels" as though my entire digestion has ground to a halt - I don't even feel hunger in the same way as I used to.

·
Super Moderator
6,646 Posts
When I am in low range I am very symptomatic of being hypo. All the symptoms you mention and your lab results point to you being hypo. Goal is 1/2 range minimum on both FT-4 and FT-3 minimum up to 3/4 of the ranges depending on how you feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I am in low range I am very symptomatic of being hypo. All the symptoms you mention and your lab results point to you being hypo. Goal is 1/2 range minimum on both FT-4 and FT-3 minimum up to 3/4 of the ranges depending on how you feel.
Thank you so much for the reply - that's so interesting to know, and strangely reassuring too, because I've felt like I'm going mad!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts