Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been advocating for TSH ranges to be lowered because they are currently completely off base. What I have seen in labs are usually .5 to 5 or something like that.

TSH1.775 uIU/mL0.430 - 3.550 uIU/mL

As you can see above, my range changed from 5 to 3.550 as the top end of the range. My personal opinion is under 2.5 should be a goal. Almost every thyroid test I've seen for healthy people without a thyroid problem has been close to 1 as a TSH. Sure there are a few exceptions. A very overweight friend of mine had a 2.5 TSH once, but his next one was 1.5.

My doctor was actually happy about this change because before she couldn't really say anything if someone had a 4 TSH since it was "in range".

What's interesting is I left an Endocrinologist at this same hospital because she wouldn't up my dose despite my TSH be 5 and I had a lot of symptoms. That was the last straw. I went to a new Endocrinologist in a big city and now I'm doing well on the new dosage.

Sure this doesn't help people doing T4 and T3 medication much, but for those doing T4 only, I think this is very helpful. However, there are cases where TSH doesn't tell the story so it's best to get FT4 and FT3 along with TSH everytime. A reasonable doctor should order these for us even if they don't use the FT3. If you see high FT4 and low FT3, you will want to look into some things (diet, lifestyle changes, sleep, stress, nutrition, etc). But if you don't have T4 to T3 conversion issues, I believe TSH can provide good information. Even though it's fallen out of favor with a lot of alternative medicine folks. Again, assuming you are on T4 only. I think it should still be looked at for combination therapy, but there are cases where TSH gets suppressed in those situations. It's possible you may need to rely on FT4 and FT3.

One tricky thing about FT4 and FT3 is the reliability of the test itself. Especially at the lower levels of the range. The use of mass spectroscopy FT4 and FT3 tests can improve the reliability but are not run very often. The normal FT4 and FT3 tests are not perfect so it's something to consider.

Taking your tests at the same time of day is important. And best to take them before taking your dose...especially if you take T3.

Anyways that was long winded. What ranges are on your labs where you guys are? Was this a shift across the US or was this just where I am? What about other countries?

·
Super Moderator
6,620 Posts
The range you posted is the newest range. There are still old tests out there and every lab orders a different manufacturer so you will usually see different TSH ranges when tested.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really glad to see this. I felt the old range was quite ridiculous. I can't imagine many people already on medication felt OK above 3. People not on medication may or may not be feeling bad at those ranges, but still it's a sign of a problem.

I wonder what prompted the change. Maybe a study or two? I've been pushing for this for a long time and have told my doctors about it as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts