Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone worried about the D3 they consume. I've been supplementing with D3 since 2006, my levels were so low then and now I'm back up to 64, got to 80 at one point and then hip replacement knocked levels down 40 pts.

Now all this noise about D3 and poison to rats.

What about humans, harmful? I normally take 5K daily. And don't get in the SUN like I did for a lot of my life.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If I remember correctly it was a very high amount given to rats. Certainly D3 toxicity wouldn't be good for anyone or anything. But you'd have to take quite a bit. Just get levels checked. I prefer to be between 50 and 70 and that's how I've been testing.

Something to consider is Hashimotos patients tend to need more D3 than most people. I've seen multiple studies on this.

I think D3 supplementation is almost mandatory for hashimotos and hypothyroidism patients. 5000 is a good number and is what I take if I don't get any sun that day. But there are other things to consider. Vitamin K2 MK7 is important to take with it. In fact I just switched to a combination D3 K2 supplement. Magnesium is also important so eating avocados or eating pumpkin seeds should be considered. There are many forms of Magnesium supplements and some are better than others. I'm currently not taking magnesium but I did take Magnesium Glycinate in the past. Not a lot of it, but a little bit.

My levels were 20 (range 30-100) when I was first diagnosed with Hashimotos. Getting that better was likely quite helpful in my recovery.

·
Registered
328 Posts

In the above study they gave rats 2 mg of D3. Whereas, we take 125 mcg of D3 daily. So we would be taking a significantly smaller amount than they give rats. They are driving the rats to toxicity...major toxicity. If we took too much it would have similar effects.

Most supplementation is about balance. I can say we should be VERY careful when ever supplementing. I've seen a lot of hashimotos patients go to functional doctors and get prescribed some pretty strange dosages of supplements. Many I've seen would likely have been harmful to those people. High doses of Iodine, High doses of Selenium, etc. Always double check with people before getting on doses of supplements. This is not to say that all functional doctors are bad. But some are smarter than others when it comes to supplementation. I always err on the side of lower than higher doses. Except D3 I do take 5000 (especially in the winter). Actually, 5000 isn't that large a dose as I see some folks on 10000 iu. I think 10000 is too much personally, even for hashimotos patients who don't process it well. Unless someone was just diagnosed as deficient. They could take 10000 a day for a month then cut back to 5000.

Recently I was feeling pretty bad and not sleeping well. I figured out it was my Multivitamin I was taking. Don't know if it was a bad batch or what. The good news is it must have been a water soluable vitamin causing me trouble because when I stopped taking it I was fine. But when I restarted I had the same issue.

Right now I'm going to try and get everything I can through food outside of D3/K2.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try as we may, just foods don't do it. I've been supplementing since I was in my early 50's and I'm 83 soon. The person spreading the fear of D3 and rat poison issue is so Off Base.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is where my daughter got the Fear Instilling thoughts on D3. Bad bad bad title of article.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Some of what she says is true. But she's overdoing quite a bit. Then again, naturopaths tend to do this from what I've seen. Not sure how you'd get enough Vitamin D through food. Most food with it is fortified by the same stuff she's complaining about. I believe Cod liver oil has it though. The only real alternative is moving to a place that gets sun most of the year. Somewhere down near the equator. That would be nice, but not always practical. Even then, I would want to check levels.

My new supplement says the D3 comes from the plant Lichen. So that seems to differ from her opinion. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07255MPRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm personally iffy on functional doctors nowadays. I think there is a place for them. But finding a good one that isn't scamming you can be difficult. Same as finding a good endocrinologist. I like a few youtube folks. Dr. Westin Childs (he seems a bit over the top but still pretty good) and Dr. Brad Shook (A chiropractor which I usually wouldn't recommend, but he seems pretty solid). I would trust them for services if I really needed to go to one. In my local area they were not good at all. One was sort of OK but still not great. However, she was really affordable. I think it was $75 a visit. But I do live in a rural area. But honestly she was not very good and very different in her treatments from normal functional doctors. However, I liked that she only prescribed 2 supplements at a time. But every one I took make me feel bad and I had to stop them pretty quick.

Another one I went to was a total scam. And was going to charge $5000 for a few months of treatment. Make me do all kinds of weird treatments and take a ton of expensive supplements. I ran quickly!

My opinion is finding a functional doctor that has a MD is a good sign. Probably going to have to go to a larger city to find those. Some hospitals have functional medicine programs now. I believe they may even take insurance which would be helpful. They are probably a bit more in the middle of functional and conventional. Which I think is probably good as I think both functional and conventional are not great at treating hashimotos.

We are easy targets for getting taken advantage of because we are suffering and are not having luck with conventional doctors.

However, I still think there are some functional doctors that can make a big difference for someone not doing well. Maybe they can find that root cause(s) that could be making things not correct.

My opinion is most people just need to get on the right dose of medication. That should be job one. I do think many of us should consider diet changes (or at least try them). Gluten is the most normal one to try first. Dairy second. Soy third, reducing added sugars 4th. Reducing processed foods 5th. I can go on and on about food changes. I've done a ton of them and it's a pretty tough life. I'm dairy, gluten, soy, vegetable oil, Spicey peppers, corn free and low in added sugars. I do a few others that seem to bother me (eliminated during AIP): Legumes, high amounts of onion. I'm pretty sure I have some sort of IBS but no diagnosis on that. However, most of what I avoid is stuff people with IBS avoid.

And also looking for nutritional deficiencies. Vitamin D, B12, Iron are the big three to me when it comes to Hashimotos and hypothryoidism. I've never seemed to have a problem with B12 but who knows. My red blood cells always seem to be the opposite of what they look at for finding that one. I do eat a ton of things with B12. Iron was a real problem early on. I believe it's why I had so much trouble back then. But now my Iron levels are in the optimal levels. And Vitamin D was deficient but now in a good spot.

There's a lot to learn. And I think learning what doctors are good or not so good is a part of it. I'm personally wary of all doctors that treat this. It's not handled as good as it should be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say functional docs, is this the same as Integrative Md's....I only see Integrative MD's for the last 20 yrs. I left a message on Jody Powells phone today, that her title on the D3 and rat poison is so wrong, she needs to change the title. My daughter believed it and put in my mind and so I started to do my research. So much fear instilled.

It's true there is D3 in rat poison, high dose, and the difference between a small creature and a large person is very significant.

I still continue 5000 IU's of D3 daily = 125 mcg.

I did SUN all my early life and now can't sit in the sun for very long, and it's almost always sunny here in So Cal, not today, it was overcast most of day.

I drink no milk and very little cheese and buy yogurt now and then....have some now. Bye...

·
Registered
328 Posts
integrative MDs are usually the good ones. I'd consider them toward functional but kind of in the middle. Which I think is probably the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the first tests my IM Doc did was test DHEA and that was back about 20 yrs ago and yes I was low and started to do research and have been supplementing for all these years, lately, I back off a bit as my levels are really optimal now.

Another thing he tried to sell me was HGH injections, I didn't buy as very pricey and I just didn't know enough and now I find myself using HGH Homeopathic Gel for the last 15 months or so. My daughter and I both use it, she is 3 months ahead of me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts