Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is 43 and is worried about early menopause, as she is having several hypo symptoms yet an Endocrinologist told her she's perfectly fine for thyroid. She's chronically tired, has some brain fog, and trouble catching her breath (yes she's been screened for everything, HR and BP are great, weight is fine tho she thinks she is about 5-10 lbs overweight), and some other things. I remembered when I was either very hypo or hyper I had difficulty with regular breaths too. How do these look? Seems like she is maybe trending hypo to me but wanted to check with you all!:

Free T3 3.1 (2.3-4.2)
Free T4 1.1 (0.8-1.8)
TSH 1.66
T3 total 82 (76-181)
T4 9.3 (5.1-11.9)
T Globulin <1
T Peroxidase <1
Reverse T3 is pending

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Free T3 3.1 (2.3-4.2) ((3.25-3.725))
Free T4 1.1 (0.8-1.8) ((1.3-1.55))
TSH 1.66
T3 total 82 (76-181)
mid to 3/4 ranges for labs are in (( and bold))

In my opinion she could use a bump up in her meds or addition of low dose T4 ( then retest in 6 weeks) to confirm conversion.

Is she taking meds for thyroid?

Also - have they checked D, B-12 and Ferritin levels?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not yet checked those other levels, no.
And she is not yet on a thyroid hormone med yet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't think she has a thyroid issue. That should be fine for someone not on medication. She doesn't appear to have Hashimotos either.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The good news is you have labs in case she ever did develop Hashimotos, you'd know what her numbers generally should be for the Free T3 and such. That's information most of us do not have.

Unfortunately those symptoms can be all kinds of different things.

The same things that can help us can help her though. Sleep hygiene and getting good sleep, Exercise daily (30 min of walking would be good), get out in nature, Stress reduction techniques like yoga and meditation, eating more whole foods and less processed foods, drinking enough filtered water each day (that reminds me!), etc. I'm sure I'm missing a few things.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I want to reiterate there is no thyroid issue there. With some exercise and other techniques those numbers could improve, but I can tell you they are not even close to an indication of a thyroid issue. And no hashimotos either, so that rules out the possible cause of the brain fog and such.

Please don't have her start thyroid meds. It would be a big mistake.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has hair thining, fatigue, low libido, dry skin, some brain fog, never feels full, some joint pain, says she lost muscle tone despite working out. Already exercises regularly and eats tons of whole foods regularly, mild to moderate depression started in the last couple years too- started an anti depressant. She did test positive for some anti body in the rheumatoid family but then had a full workup and they found nothing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I do think Menopause gives those types of symptoms.

How about checking nutrition out a bit. Iron deficiency would be something I'd look into. You need to get all 4 tests and Ferritin. Vitamin D is worth checking also. I think being low in Iron would cause some of that too.

Does she take a good multivitamin? Sometimes Iron Deficiency can be caused by other nutrition issues. However, in her case maybe heavier periods from Menopause are causing Iron issues and those symptoms.

I'm a male, but I had some Iron issues at first after I was diagnosed which was messing with my handling of the thyroid hormones.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Most people are deficient in D so make sure thats checked. Low and changing monthly Ferritin levels can cause some of the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thank you both!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update- she had very low estrogen and is now on an estrogen patch and feeling a lot better!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts