Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 24 year old female with severe fatigue, dry skin, foggy brain, IBS, thinning eye brows, low body temp & heart rate, depression, anxiety, night sweats, terrible PMS (getting worse every month), cold feet...and went to the doctor to get checked out for hormone imbalance. During my consultation, the doctor told me that I have under active thyroid and sent me home with Nature Throid till I got my blood test results back. During the first week of taking it, my legs swelled up severely, my exhaustion got worse, my face puffed up, I gained 3 pounds and started my period a whole week early (which never happens) all the while I was on vacation. I called the office, and they told me to stop taking it till I was seen again. I went in for my blood test results and he told me that he was going to prescribe me B12, D3, Metformin (for PCOS) and Nature Throid. I told him he already had started me on NT at my first appointment, but it made me gain weight, retain water, was more tired and messed with my menstrual cycle. He told me that in that case, it must be something else going on making it seem like hypo so prescribed Adrenal Px Balancer instead. (Isn't this why we got the blood test, so he knew for sure??)

Yesterday, I went in for my 1 month follow up, and I told him that my energy had improved a little bit, but my skin was still super dry and he told me that that indicates low thyroid. I reminded him about what the Nature Throid did, and he said that it is normal for things to seem to get worse for 7-10 days before they start getting better. (WHY DIDNT HE SAY THAT THE FIRST TIME??) So, I verified that he was wanting me to start taking the Nature Throid again? And he said yes. I verified that if I start seeing worsening symptoms to keep taking it because they should subside? And he said yes.

I got home and grabbed my blood test results from a month prior to see what my thyroid levels even were, and they all say they are within normal range according to the normal ranges on the test.

My TSH is 1.44 Ref Range is 0.40-4.50

T4, Free is 1.3 Ref Range is 0.8-1.8

T3, Free is 3.1 Ref Range is 2.3-4.2

T3 Reverse is 20 Ref Range us 8-25

He is a doctor, and I know he has been doing this for a long time but he seems a little scatter brained and the Nature Throid really made me feel crappy the first time around. My next scheduled appointment isn't for 2 more months, and a lot can happen in that time. Is it true that symptoms may get worse before it gets better? Do my results look abnormal to you? Even if they are normal, could I still have hypothyroidism?

HELP!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Those results are from before you started NT, yes?

Did they do any thyroid antibodies tests?

What kind of doctor are you seeing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, he sent me home with NT the first time seeing me, two weeks before my blood test results came back. They did a detailed blood test, but that's it. So, no on the antibodies test. And the doctor is an MD with is own health & wellness clinic

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Starting NT without seeing blood tests is, in my opinion, irresponsible at best.

Your free t3 is slightly low but nothing alarming and your free t4 is fine. I can't see why he'd put you on thyroid meds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my thought. Also, if I hadn't already tried them and felt miserable on them, then maybe I wouldn't be so hesitant to listen to him.

Thank you for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts