Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, So I am new here. I was at the doctor last week, and she informed my thyroid is enlarged. Ran labs but they came back normal. TSH was 2.53 (.035-400) and T4 Free .9 (.8-1.5). She sent an email which simply said everything was fine.

I have a few symptoms I have always assumed were due to getting older (33) or being anemic (self diagnosed), but after hearing my thyroid was enlarged I started looking at symptoms, and realized this could explain a lot.

I am not sure what my next steps should be. Do I just continue on like normal or try to get into an Ent?

Also, I live in So Cal and have Kaiser so if any of you have recommendation for a good doctor I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Your labs are actually hypo. You should be aiming for a TSH around 1.0 and your free t4 is barely registering.

I would get a second opinion with either an ENT or an endo. Be very clear about your symptoms and ask for a trial of Synthroid (or equivalent).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not sure how enlarged. I went in last Thursday and the doctor checked my neck and said it was enlarged.

I am waiting to hear from my normal doctor to discuss what we should do next.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Your labs are hypo.

I am not sure what my next steps should be. Do I just continue on like normal or try to get into an Ent?
You could also simply go to another GP and tell them your symptoms which are hypo and in agreement with your low range FT-4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I went to see another GP. She told me my labs are normal and she doesn't even start treatment until the TSH is above 4.0. She didn't ask about any symptoms. I asked her to run more labs, which I had to ask for specifically. She agreed but not for one month.

She agreed that my thyroid is enlarged and ordered an ultrasound. She guaranteed me that if something is wrong they will catch it with that, and if there is nothing wrong, she must be feeling fat!

I guess we will see what the ultrasound shows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I went to see another GP. She told me my labs are normal and she doesn't even start treatment until the TSH is above 4.0. She didn't ask about any symptoms. I asked her to run more labs, which I had to ask for specifically. She agreed but not for one month.

She agreed that my thyroid is enlarged and ordered an ultrasound. She guaranteed me that if something is wrong they will catch it with that, and if there is nothing wrong, she must be feeling fat!

I guess we will see what the ultrasound shows.
Hello! I am curious about the results of your ultra sound. I had one done just after Thanksgiving, with no abnormalities to show (but the doctor told me my thyroid was enlarged). Just a couple weeks later my thyroid was protruding (the length and width of my thumb maybe). So, I am very interested to hear more about your journey with this...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ultrasound showed a small cyst. The doctor is not concerned about it. I go in for more lab work this week. If the levels are in the normal range, she will not do anything more.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
I suggest you keep looking for a doctor willing to address your low Free labs. Those along with hypo symptoms will eventually convince a doc to do a trial of levothyroxine or Armour.

Reactions: joplin1975
1 - 10 of 10 Posts