Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large 3.6 thyroid nodule on my right side. I have 3 small nodules on my left. I had a biopsy done this week and report says suspicious a follicular neoplasm. My endocrinologist referred me to ENT for consultation for full thyroid removal. Endo said to do a full removal, but ENT I saw only wants to do half. If it would come back cancerous we would go back in and remove the rest later. Thoughts and advice are welcome. Thanks so much!!

·
Super Moderator
6,660 Posts
Take the whole thyroid out at the first surgery.

It is very difficult - if not impossible to stabilize on thyroid replacement with 1/2 a thyroid.

1/2 a thyroid rarely, if ever produces enough thyroid hormone to replace the missing 1/2.

Taking replacement medication - if properly dosed and monitored is not a big deal.

Reactions: CBQST

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
I am sorry for this but I will tell you.......... and others will as well; get it all out. It could come back plus thyroid tissue replicates. Also, having only half makes it near impossible to titrate the thyroxine replacement properly.

Glad you dropped in and welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Yup, go for a total!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same situation, except my dominant nodule is a bit bigger (5 cm) and was benign as of a year ago. I'm also thinking about going for a full, as I'm actually more worried about the smaller nodules than the larger one. It seems less risky to go in for surgery once, rather than potentially have to go in twice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.