Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening to NPR I heard talk of how ginseng is good for regulating hormones in the body - or something. Anyway, looked it up and found this: http://www.itmonline.org/arts/thyroid.htm

Just wondering if anyone has used ginseng, how much and how often, and what were your results. I'm especially interested in ginseng with Hashimoto's, but would like to hear anyone's experiences.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
"If" the person has autoantibodies and antibodies (to anything), Ginseng will trigger those antibodies. One would think that would be a good thing. NOT!

For when the good guys are triggered; the bad guys rush in to do their dirty work. Echinecea is another supplement that is a huge negative.

Anything that purportedly triggers the immune system is definitely contraindicated.

Hugs,

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
I have Hashi's and my doctor told me to stay away from ginseng (even now after I've had my thyroid removed); my thyroid problems caused some heart issues and ginseng and caffiene and other stimulants are things I have to stay away from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, completely opposite of what I was thinking. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
To me it's not so much about taking things like ginseng, rather cutting harmful food like wheat, any gluten, checking for cross reactant foods and so on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts