Thyroid Disease Forum banner

Going crazy or thyroid issues?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  akimbo 
#1 ·
Am one step away from divorce, due to my being "withdrawn and unloving". I've been off and (mostly) on 25 mg of Synthroid for about 7 years. My blood work has always been 'normal' but I was put on medication for inability to concentrate. I ran out about 3 weeks ago, but two weeks ago saw my g.p. to talk to her about whether I need synthroid at all. She sent me for blood work which came back normal, but then said the test was actually a waste of time because I would need to be off the med for a month to see if I'm able to produce my own thyroxin. Gee thanks for that.

Have fibromyalgia, small-fiber neuropathy, tinnitus, depression, lots of chemical sensitivities and lately: chronic insomnia, increasing memory loss and some panicky thoughts of claustrophobia. Since going off synthroid 3 weeks ago, it seems like a different sweating patterm than menopause. At the same time, I've needed my electric blanket on a few evenings for chills. Have had no interest in sex for several years and my husband's patience is running out. I couldn't even fake interest if my life depended on it, but occassionally, I give in for his sake. There is growing resentment on both sides. Appart from that we have good things in our life, including a nice house, good friends, and a great dog, and we respect each other's achievements and knowledge. I do feel bad that my husband isn't getting what he needs. Mostly he's tolerant, and not a chauvenist but there is a seething undercurrent of resentment about my being 'distant' and occassionally, like this morning, a huge argument. I don't know how much the thyroid is at play in all this. I feel a lot of confusion and sadly, my doctor is not helpful. The endocrinologist I saw 2 years ago was not helpful either. She said none of the tests were difinitive for thyroid problem. Does this sound like it's thyroid related?

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Let's assume for a moment that you DO need the Synthroid. It's pretty rare that 25 mcg is enough to make a difference. It's really hard to tell without your lab's ranges.

Now, let's assume for a moment that you DON'T need the Synthroid. What else has your doctor explored with you? Have you talked at length with your doctor about the lack of interest in sex? What have you tried in your efforts to improve your libido? Any sex hormones?
Thanks Super Moderator + Administrator. I live in a small town and, for various reasons, am stuck with this young doctor. No I haven't talked to her about lack of interest in sex. I was on DHEA for several years, which was controversial, but that didn't make any difference. I actually feel some relief that the sex thing is over. :) Too bad for hubby. As of today, I'm back on synthroid. Thanks for listening in my 'hour of need.' I clearly need to learn more about this medication.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.