Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! My name is Brittany, I was born and raised in the wonderful, amazing, and fast-paced Las Vegas, NV.

Back in January I had a ton of symptoms that 3 doctors thought led to M.S., I underwent all of the testing for it and all the mass amounts of blood work.

Luckily my neurologist ordered a TSH and Free T4 test. She noticed my TSH levels were non existent and my T4 was really high. She told me it was hyperthyroidism and sent me on my way to our states best endo. I had my appointment this morning with him :) He treated me amazing, did the basic physical exam and said my thyroid is enlarged ( I couldnt notice, my nexk is long and lean I thought!)

He told me that most likely and he believes that I have Grave's Disease. I've kinda covered the topic when I was in class last semester, but I know its an autoimmune, which is never good.

I've always been tall and thin, I hate to say that my vanity is getting into my thoughts about treatments. I'm 5'9" and about 120-125 lbs. I feel amazing in my skin now :) I know that any and all treatments will cause some weight gain. I am curious as to how much? How quick? Is it possible to shed it by diet and exercise?

I am having the iodine test and an ultrasound this week, along with some more blood work. I just wanted to introduce myself, give a little back story, and find some people that understand what this is. (my mother has so many ailments, that whenever something happens with me she tries to one up me and say she had the same thing or something worse, most of the time i dont believe it. I love her but i dont need that kind of support right now)

Also, is there anything specific I should ask my doctor prior to my next visit (march 21st). I want to be fully prepared and take control of this condition. Thanks a million for reading and I cant wait to get to know all (or at least most, or a good majority lol) of you!

·
24 Posts
Hi Brittnay,

I am curious what type of exam your Dr did to tell you had an enlarged thyroid since you indicated you could not tell yourself?

I am also newly diagnosed with Hashi's although some of the people on this board who have viewed my labs think perhaps I might be hyper instead. I am having blood work done this afternoon that will test for grave's disease as well.

I think you have a very positive attitude which I admire. I've been pretty sad since I got the news myself but am trying to keep my chin up. I know this is managable, just need the right management team (Drs) which I'm currently having issues with and am in the process of switching. I'm glad to hear you have a great endo.

Please keep us posted on your situation. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.