Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First of all I apologize if my english is bad or weird but I am not native speaker, I live in Croatia and since in my country there is nothing like this, I have decided to create account here and see how ut goes. From what I have read here, there are many experienced postera and I would really like to hear from you.

So, I have many issues with Hashi, I was diagnosed 8 yrs ago but my thyroid has alreay been so destructed ( left side cca 60%, right 80%). It all started whe I was 19yrs old and had first panic attack,massive one..Then I developed agoraphobia,social phobia and GAP. I have always been tired, exhausted, not able to concentrate but I thought that it was all due to mixture od college,working and traveling,getting up early etc. Until my heart started to have palpitations which led to more panic attack,more anxiety etc.

I was put on antidepr. Cipealex and xanax as needed. When all settled down I stopped medications. Since then I have had 3 episodes of these things until I was 26 when I lost my first pregnancy and we did some blood work and I finnaly got the Hashi diagnosis. M thyroid was allready almost dead but endocrinologist put me on Euthyrox (25,50,75mcg).

Then I got married, had a second child and I guess postpartum jatrogenic hypertireosis since my dose was to high.

I was doing my ultrasounda regulary, checking my ft3, ft4 and TSH and everything was always in normal ranges except me- I was horrible. Having daily panic attacks, anxiety over the roof, depression and all the time I was standing and watching what is happening to me. At first I was affraid a lot, took the antidepr.and xanax again, until about a year ago when my anxiety hit the roof and I qas diagnoses with Borderline personality disorder aka emotionaly unstable personality even though my psych. Told me that its all about my thYroid. In January this year I had an ultras.of my thyroid and its completly eaten by AB,and my doctor suggested surgery. From May I have a lot of other issuea : heart palp., muscle twitching,cramping, pain all over my body, daily mood swings, emotional pain, lack of interest, fatigue and/or hyper feeling of jitters, nervousness, anxiety, hot and cold flashes...You name it I have it.

I am totaly for TT but I am affraid what if my condition starts to be even worse ( But I am not sure that it can get any worse) in psychiatric sense?

Dis anyone had similar experience that can sharw with me? I am absolutely sure that I dont have BPD, i have a nice life, beautiful girl, I love my husband. I volunteer a lot, have my own company..I mean I would like to enjoy in life and nit feel so miserable all the time. But than again, what if after TT I get even worse?

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Interesting story. Do you have copies of any thyroid blood tests they might have run? Please post with ranges. Posting antibody results would also be helpful.

You sound like your medication is not being properly managed.

Many people report psychiatric symptoms when their thyroid levels are not optimal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are not optimal for sure ;)

TSH 4,76 ( 0,27 - 4,2)
T3 1.66 ( 1.3 - 3.1) they didnt do free
Ft4 13,6 ( 12-22)

My AB were measured at the beginning and they were arround 2300 ( very very high).

My ferritin is low also, my thyroid is full of holes ( my last ults.says multi microatrophy tissue).I tried T3 medication together with euthyrox, I felt great at for 2 weeks and then I started to feel hyper symptoms and stopped. My cortisol level was also low so I guess it had something to do with that and low ferritin. my endo upped the dose on 100mcg if Euthyrox but again I started to have very bad side-effects and had to be hack in 75mcg.

My endo said that what is left of my thyroid is throwing hormones as it wants, due to extreme tissue damage, and we cannot predict anymore what will cause it to start the fire on me. I literally feel one day hypo and the next hyper and cant control it...before it was occasionally but now its on daily basis.

So, I dont respond good to meds with thyroid in this stage as it goes on and off as it will, my adrenals are damaged, my immune system is destroyed since it is forced to attack the rest of tissue, I have a lot of problems already - could TT fix my problem or maybe just make it more bearable?

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
A TT will remove the diseased thyroid - once it's gone the antibodies have nothing to attack.

It is much easier to adjust thyroid hormone to optimal levels without a failing thyroid.

Raising your iron levels will help your body accept the T3 hormone.

I was afraid to remove my thyroid and eventually had a TT. Life is SO much better without a diseased thyroid for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you :) I am very concern that my psychological state doesnt drop again cause I think I am halfway to be institutionalized :) , even though I am very aware of everything that is going on with me. I will wait to see if anyone else experienced something similar, maybe he or she will write : MY PANIC ATTACKS FINNALY STOPPED :)

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
My sister had panic attacks 10 years prior to being diagnosed with thyroid disease. She just had her thyroid removed. The panic attacks stopped.

I had anxiety which stopped shortly after I had my thyroid removed.

have they ever tested TSI antibodies? I'm assuming the high antibody levels you shared are TPO antibody

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, they are Anti-TPO and I am pozizive for anti TG but no TSI were taken. But why should I takw TSI when I am already considering TT? Will that make a difference after TT? Even if they are positive she needs to gw out so...

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
I was looking for clarification as to the antibodies they ran on you.

If you are considering removal having TSI antibodies probably wouldn't matter. You mentioned feeling hyper some days which is why I asked.

Removal of the thyroid will stop the attack and like I said - dosing thyroid hormone replacement becomes much easier because no more thyroid hormone is being released from your diseased thyroid gland. The antibodies are specific to the thyroid gland so without a thyroid there is nothing to attack.

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
Agree with Lovlkn, if you're planning to remove your thyroid TSI antibodies being run would be nice to know but not necessary. The symptoms you've mentioned make me think you probably have them, so removing your thyroid might be your best option. I never had panic attacks but I did have periods where I felt really "revved up"--my body just felt like it was running at full speed. Then I would crash and go through a hypo period where I was just worn out. It was not fun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, same thing is happening to me especially when I am in ovulation period and then crash during my menstrual cycle. Uf, such a horrible disease.

Tommorow I am having my app. with surgeon and end. But I already know tjat he will say takw it out, he is saying that on almost every check. The problem is that he is a private practicioner and the surgery costs arroun 2500EUR but every other hospital doctor said that there is no need to remove the gland since it is still producing some hormones:/. That is why I was so sceptical in thw first place but I shoul have known that he is only one who actually cares not only for ranges but for subjective symptoms.

I will let you know how my appointment went, and really thank you for supporting my decision.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey again,

So apparently I am in a phase of thyrotoxicosis, my endo says its time to take it out. MY surgery is on 13.11. arround 17 pm... Also I have a new nodule 8mm. I have some blood work to do so I hope I will find energy to do that. Oh gosh..

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
Hang in there! It will get better.

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
You're very close to getting this done and feeling better, just a few more weeks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally the flare has stopped so I am able to do my chores...But I am exhausted, all I want to do is sleep. I guess I am hypo now so everything I do is at snail - slow speed but I am hanging in there. At least there is no jittery and nervousnesses. Just blank space in my head mixed with brain fog. I would choose this over hyper every time.

I will write about this flare because I think I have never experienced such strong one... This has been awful.

My gyn. also told me to have surgery because the thyroid is so unpredictable that all of my hormones are wild and unpredictable..he said of course that once I take it out there is no return, but it will be better because we could than heal other parts of me that have been influenced ( cortisol and adrenals, sex hormones etc.)

I know it is going to be a journey towards me getting better so I will keep writing here as much details I notice to help somebody else.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, about the flare :)

I will write tis in 2 sections, one physical,psychological, mental and also will add some extra details about how my family and reacted

Physical :

- pain all over my body - muscles, nerves, bones

- 5 loose stools/ diarrhea a day

- urination every 1 hour or more

- muscle twitching and hypertonic

- no apetite

- water retention ( I think I got arround 3 kg.)

- ovulation aches ( ovaries and uterus) and also anovulation cyclus ( confirmed by my gynecologist)

- burning sensations starting from my stomach, up to my chest and neck, stopping in my head

- flashes of heat or hot/cold sensations

- sweating hands, feet, arm pits, nose

- shallow breath or apnea ( sometimes I noticed that I didnt take a breath for a while)

- dizziness

- attacks of hypoglycemia

- burning in my chest

- heart palpitations and/or irregular heart beat

- thin nails

- extremely dry skin, itchy and peeling

-cold extremities

- body full of bruises

- brain fog, headaches

- lack of energy, exhaustion together with feeling jittery, nervous and hyper speed

- shallow sleep or no sleep, waking up in the middle of the night

- flue like feelings

Psychological:

- constant feeling of worry

- nervousness, jitteryness,

- panic attacks

- constant feeling of anxiety that can lead to panic attacks

- panic attacks

- derealization

- depersonalization

- overthinking

- crying

- depression

- dark thoughts

- OCD or some milder form of OCD

Mental:

- forgetfulness

- epic brain fog

- no concentration

- feeling of dumbness in my head

- couldnt remember word, couldnt finish sentence

And how it all looked like during days and months in my life...

I didnt go to deep sleep because I couldnt sleep ( I was laying in my bed trying to get some rest, I had very vivid dreams and end up sleeping so shallow, my brain was working all night long, if I did wake up I would feel like something needs to be done, extreme boost of energy etc). Woke up, took my levo and 1,5 hours after I started to get all the mentioned symptoms.

I had to drive my daughter to kindergarten and had multiple panic attacks ( and that is dangerous, I had to stop at least 5 times even though the drive is only 10min. ). All trough the day I had racing thoughts, anxiety, heart palps, everything I started didnt finish, I felt constantly worried about " something or everything", I didnt eat regulary, everything made me feel sick. I had to run to toilets everywhere I was.

I eventually stopped driving because it was so stressful.And tolerance to stres was minimal - everything was stressful, talking to other people, to my husband, work...so I eventually stopped talking to everyone except my daughter. I felt like I couldnt open my mouth. I developed agoraphobia, social phobia panic attacks and GAD.

Washing dishes, cleaning etc was extremely hard and heavy. I forgot everything - where I left my keyes, what we ate day before, when is my daughter doctor app,

It was living in hell.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to reschedule my TT on 27th nov. ( my daughter was sick)... For a couple of days I felt fine and than, 5th day of my menstruation, I was at friends and suddenly I started to feel the symptoms comming back... I noticed some new things like muscles in my legs are feeling hypertonic but my arms are weak and stiff,I feel pressure in my head, like my brain will explode, there are jitters and nervousness... So, hyper symptoms are back...I am wandering, does any of you ladies felt these swings pre/during/after ovulation /menstruation... This has become awful after the birth if my daughter.

I mean,I know that thyroid affects everything in body, but so much? Just want to know will maybe that get better?

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
My gyn. also told me to have surgery because the thyroid is so unpredictable that all of my hormones are wild and unpredictable..he said of course that once I take it out there is no return, but it will be better because we could than heal other parts of me that have been influenced ( cortisol and adrenals, sex hormones etc.)
Who will be prescribing your thyroid hormone replacement medication post thyroid removal?

I had to reschedule my TT on 27th nov.
Please explain - I do not understand what you are saying?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My endocrinologist who is also a surgeon will prescribe my medications and titer them as needed.

I already have my date of the surgery and its on 27.11.2017. ( it supposed to be today but I had to change it because my daughter was sick.)

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.