Thyroid Disease Forum banner

hashimotos and antibiotics

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  burdette2004 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I read in another post that antibiotics affect people with autoimmune disorders differently. I took a z pack at the end of August. This was the first antibiotics I had taken in nearly 20 years. Now I am having one of the worse thyroid attacks I've ever had. I had a good energy level, was sleeping okay, exercising, and losing some weight. Now I can barely function. I feel like I am unmedicated even though I was just upped to 90 mcg from 60. (Still awaiting labs). This decline started in September and has just gotten worse. My thyroid is visibly enlarged. Is there a connection to taking antibiotics? I have read mixed stories online, but wanted to know specifically for hashimotos not just hypothyroidism.

#2 ·
Consider that the reason for this attack could be because of the reason you had to take the antibiotics. The good news is that it will take a few weeks for you to recover but you will. Stay on track w/all you do.

hugs102.png

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Following antibiotics I spend the extra money on Naturopath Quality probiotics. One of them is by "Metagenics" and is called Ultra Flora. (Very good.) Needs to stay refrigerated (live active cultures.)

Later when things have settled down, you might add "Yeast Fighters" or "Capryillic Acid" (by NOW) (please read up on this before taking them - if you have yeast overgrowth from the antibiotics, I guess the "yeast die off" factor from taking these can add to your fatiuge and other symptoms -- so it might be better to take it slowly - like maybe adding probiotics first, and maybe later when you're not under such an attack, then go for the caprylic acid - gently??)

#5 ·
I saw my doctor today and she said it is possible for the antibiotics to be an indirect cause of thyroid trouble. As they kill good bacteria as well as bad, they can allow some pretty nasty stuff to grow in your digestive system. She recommended taking garlic with the antibiotics and 2 hours later taking a good probiotic. I am guessing continuing for a few weeks would be a good idea. Hopefully I won't have need of antibiotics anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.