Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. I've read many posts over the last couple of months, which helped me through my decision to have surgery, and now I've joined and hope to contribute to share any information that I have that can help others.

My primary care doctor found a nodule a couple of months ago. I had an u/s that showed 3 nodules TIRADS-3. Went for an FNA for the largest one (3.1cm) and was Bethesda-IV and couldn't determine beyond follicular/hurthle cell neoplasm, so they sent it off for genetic/molecular Afirma testing. That came back benign (4% chance of cancer). My primary care doctor said wait a year and check it again, nothing to worry about. I went to an endocrinologist who ran some blood tests, all normal, told me not to worry and schedule a follow-up in a few months to talk about next steps. I am not a person who likes to "wait and see," especially when test results say suspicious for malignancy, and then of course, I googled hurthle cell and found nothing good about that, especially since my nodule was very large. In my many, many hours of googling and reading lots of medical journals and discussion boards, I found the Clayman Thyroid Center in Tampa. I sent off my tests for a second opinion there, and they told me that with hurthle cell, you can't be sure until it's removed and pathology is done. They said genetic/molecular testing is wrong 30% of the time with hurthle cell. I went ahead and had the surgery, and it turned out to be malignant. I only had to have half of my thyroid removed along with two lymph nodes, as it was minimal spread. I'm so thankful with my outcome and so happy that I got a second opinion. I still have to follow up with the endo to see if I will need any medication and how the other half of my thyroid is performing. I still have a nodule on the other side that has to be monitored, but I'm happy to be able to keep half of my thyroid, at least for awhile, and to be cancer-free with one procedure and no follow-on treatment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am glad you are OK and just make sure when you start on thyroid meds, to get enough for what was lost.

I'm also posting this as I don't know my status here, I was off for a while and now don't know and I believe the
forum is pretty slow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts