Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I don't know if there are answers but I'd like to share my questions, maybe someone here has experienced similar things.
I am 54 years old post menopausal (hysterectomy about six years ago) no hormone supplementation. Currently taking no medications.
My last thyroid blood test panel results were TSH 4.64 (per lab normal .4-4.5) T4 free 1.1 (per lab normal .8-1.7) T3 free 2.8 (per lab normal 2.0-4.8) TPO (antibodies) 763.8 (per lab normal less than 9). So, my TSH is a little high and my antibodies are very high. This didn't seem to bother my doctor. Then during a screening that included ultrasound of my carotid arteries (normal) there were nodules seen on my thyroid. This prompted my doctor to order a thyroid specific ultrasound.
The result of the ultra sound is long but both the left and right lobes are 'heterogeneous'. There are four nodules,
Nodule 1 13mm solid. Risk category TR4 recommended follow up one year
Nodule 2 19mm solid. Risk category TR5 recommended biopsy
Nodule 3 15mm solid. Risk category TR4 recommended biopsy
Nodule 4 5mm solid. Risk category TR3 no follow up required
My question has to do with symptoms. I feel like I have some from both the under and over active thyroid side. How can I have both? The worst are racing heart, simple low stress situations set my heart racing and my blood pressure high. I thought I might be developing anxiety disorders but this would be new and kind of late to start for no reason.
Then there are days that I experience crushing fatigue. Getting off of the couch is too much effort. Insomnia, poor sleep quality, feel like I want to go to bed after only being up long enough to brush my teeth. Most days feel hot even though inside temperature is 77-78. Other days (like in doctor office) freezing cold when tempurature is set more toward 72.
On days that I'm not as tired and I try to do things I am hypersensitive to interpersonal interactions. Even a simple request from someone or a reasonable question about my work can send my heart racing as if I were being attacked.
In the past few weeks I've been feeling depressed. Never in my life (not through a divorce, job changes ect) have I felt that before. I am usually optimistic.
My question is, has anyone had symptoms of both under and over performing thyroid? Maybe whatever is going on with me is not related to my thyroid at all. Thank you to all of you for reading my post and any suggestions.
Rebecca

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rebecca here-
sorry I forgot to write that I have terrible memory lapses, muscle cramping and sensation of weakness especially in my thighs and upper arms.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Rebecca. over five years I’ve experienced many symptoms, and while I can’t say my experience will match yours, when I was very hypo I had massive anxiety. I still get it when I go hypo, and the way I understand it, there’s an inverse relationship between thyroid and adrenals. So if thyroid is low, adrenals can kick in. Ive gone hyper a few times too and it’s more that I can’t settle down or focus well. Hard to sit still, I fidget a lot. But I don’t get the anxiety/panic that I do when hypo. if I understand correctly, that comes from adrenals. And when I started thyroid meds, my adrenals were tested and the dr said I had some adrenal fatigue. my blood pressure goes up when under medicated.

Not sure if that helps at all but I wanted to share in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rebecca. over five years I’ve experienced many symptoms, and while I can’t say my experience will match yours, when I was very hypo I had massive anxiety. I still get it when I go hypo, and the way I understand it, there’s an inverse relationship between thyroid and adrenals. So if thyroid is low, adrenals can kick in. Ive gone hyper a few times too and it’s more that I can’t settle down or focus well. Hard to sit still, I fidget a lot. But I don’t get the anxiety/panic that I do when hypo. if I understand correctly, that comes from adrenals. And when I started thyroid meds, my adrenals were tested and the dr said I had some adrenal fatigue. my blood pressure goes up when under medicated.

Not sure if that helps at all but I wanted to share in case.
Hi Sabrina,
Thank you very much for sharing your post. That this change in my anxiety level might have a physical cause and better yet might be manageable is a tremendous relief. So many posts say anxiety is connected to hyper that I was getting even more worried. I think any hormone imbalance might share some kind of nervous system upset but then I would doubt myself. I do feel like my adrenaline is turned on all of the time. That is probably why it takes so very little of any emotion to put me in anxiety overdrive.
More follow up tests today and the doctor is scheduling the biopsies. I guess we'll know more in a few weeks.
Thank you again I feel better knowing I'm not alone in the most difficult symptom for me, high anxiety.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are not alone! The anxiety is real, and like you said, it takes very little to set it off. One thing that my doctor recommended once was ashwaganda to help adrenals a little. I did take it for a while but honestly don’t remember if it helped. It would have been temporary anyway, as the only thing that could fix it was getting my thyroid levels in a good place.

I wish you luck with your test and results. I’ll check back in to see if you post any updates!

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts
Reb,

Your FT labs indicate you are hypo. Time for some medication. Thyroid symptoms often overlap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reb,

Your FT labs indicate you are hypo. Time for some medication. Thyroid symptoms often overlap
Hi,
Thank you for reading my post. I'm still waiting for the biopsy test (insurance referral) though the doctor's office tells me that will be done today or tomorrow. In the meantime the doctor does not want to prescribe anything until after we have all of the results. That makes sense but it feels like it will be a long, long time before I have some kind of plan.
Just trying to eat (mostly) right and rest when I need to.
I'll post more when we get some more info.
Thank you again,
Reb

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts
Adding T 3 hormone is what you need go request when doc is willing to put you on medication, 5 mcg to start

1 - 8 of 8 Posts