Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Hashimoto-survivors,

I'm asking myself this question for a long time but couldn't figure this out yet.

How come that your face/cheeks/eyes/hands is swollen/puffy when you have hashimoto's disease?

I'm sure it has something to do with to overall functions/metabolism of the patient and the fact that everything is

slowing down but there must be a better explanation...

Thank you so much in advance and I'm looking forward to your replies,

Jeffrey Bursens (a hashimoto victim since severall months)

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
•Periorbital, nonpitting edema; facial swelling or coarseness; macroglossia; enlargement of the tonsils, nasopharynx, and larynx; coarse or thinning hair[10]

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/123577-clinical#a0217

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/123577-overview

Welcome to the board. This is called myxedema and it does sound like you are having a myxedema crisis. What is your doctor doing to help you?

Please read the link above!

This could be life-threatening if left untreated.

How do you know you have Hashimoto's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply,

I know I have Hashimoto's disease because my doctor told me so. I had blood levels which indicated this.

I'm on 75 mg levothyroxine for about two months and although my doctor told me my blood levels became ok,

I still feel like I'm not yet where I have to be. I still have swelling-issues, dry hair, pale skin and other typical

hypo symptoms. The biggest problem for me is the swollen face. Somedays I'm 'ok' but others I'm ballooning.

I hope my body is healing at it's own pace and the swollen face will spontaneously face away.

Thank you so much for mentioning the term 'myxedema' but I'm not sure this is a life-threatening issue for me.

My doctor does not quite have an answer for my when I say that I'm still swollen even though my levels are correct.

Maye I should just wait several months until the thyroid replacement hormones are working properly and my body

is adjusting completely... ? Thank you for concern, I appreciate this more than you think,

Jeffrey Bursens

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
Did you have any antibodies' tests? Have you had an ultra-sound of your thyroid?

You are welcome; we are here for you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andros, what can I do other than taking hormones replacements to make the myxedema better? Do you know if this issue is easy to resolve?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bursens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.