Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am 44 years old, and was diagnosed as hyperthyroid last December with a TSH of >.005 and T3 T4 being elevated. Hyper was confirmed through the uptake scan and indicated that it is most likely Graves disease. Both the physician who was over the uptake scan and my nurse practitioner recommended the radioactive iodine treatment. I am not really one to take a lot of medication, so I decided to go that route in the hopes that I would not go hypo, at least for a while.
My next bloodwork a few weeks later showed levels were headed in the right direction, and I had about a month of feeling really good. A couple weeks before my next bloodwork I started experiencing more fatigue, achiness, depression, and just generally not feeling well. My bloodwork showed T3 and T4 in normal range, but TSH was at 140. Yes, 140, and the research I have been trying to do has not shown me a lot of info on TSH levels that high. My NP started me on levothyroxine. We have been checking monthly and it has been coming down, and she has been increasing my dose to make sure of that. Last month TSH was at 55, and she boosted me to 125mcl of levo. I just had bloodwork this week, and TSH is back up to 77. I take my med in the morning and wait at least a half hour before consuming anything but water. I have missed a dose here and there, but I am much better about that now than I was in the beginning. So I am feeling pretty confused about why the level would have gone up. She is also testing free T4 which is currently in range.
I have an appointment with my NP on Monday, but meanwhile I thought I would post to see if anyone else has experienced similar? I am almost 8 months out from RAI, and I am not feeling great. Currently I have a lot of fatigue, joint and muscle aches, muscle cramps, hair loss, puffy feeling eyes and face, constipation, no sex drive, general feeling of unwell, and depression and anxiety/mood swings. It is my understanding that it can take a while to get levels in order, but I am not really feeling like I am getting anywhere, and seeing my results this time has me feeling pretty discouraged. I would love to hear of other people's experiences!

·
Super Moderator
6,646 Posts
My bloodwork showed T3 and T4 in normal range, but TSH was at 140
Can you please post ranges - I doubt highly you are in "optimal" range with a TSH of 140. Goal is to fall 1/2 range minimum up to 3/4 range for both FT-4 and FT-3 lab's.

The symptoms you describe are all hypo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts