Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before the New Year, I weighed 200 lbs (I'm 5'10") and bench pressed 300 lbs, squatted 400 lbs, and deadlifted 500.

Now I weigh a little over 150 lbs and can't lift even 50 lbs off the floor without my legs trembling violently. I get winded from any exertion and have to sit down and pant for several minutes. My resting heart rate was 115 bpm.

Also my libido completely disappeared. I suspected I was suffering from low testosterone.

I went to a doctor for the first time in over a decade and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. My TSH level was 0.01.

It's been a couple of weeks and now I'm still waiting for the results of an ultrasound.

This has sort of wrecked my life. I had to give up a new job that I really needed because I just couldn't do the work anymore. My dating life has also been put on hold because I have little cash (because I have to find new work) and because I'm not terribly interested in sex anymore.

I hate to be cliche, but I am a just a shell of the strong, confident man I was just a few months ago.

I'm reading that thyroid problems aren't considered an emergency, but I've lost all my extra muscle mass, my strength, vitality, and drive because of an overactive thyroid.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Welcome to the board Gary.

Since you are early in your Graves journey - it is a really good idea to start asking for copies all all your labs. This will help us on helping you understand where you are in the disease process and how your are being treated.

Post what labs's have been run on you so far with ranges please.

I have Graves and am happy to report - there is a normal life available with it, once you get it under control. I am as strong today as I was prior to my diagnosis.

Your focus now is to learn about your disease, accept it and monitor how you react to medications prescribed to you. Keep a log or a spreadsheet - date - lab name- result- ranges- medications taken at time of draw- how you feel.

What medications or supplements, vitamins were you taking prior to your diagnosis? Any body building supplements?

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
Don't despair, once the thyroid is fixed (ablated or removed) you will be able to go back to your routine. I have also BTDT and lived to tell the tale. Hang in there.

Reactions: GaryG and Lovlkn

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't imagine that they would. I think you are comparing weightlifting supplements to meds, and unfortunately, there is no easy way to supplement your way out of the core issue. The fact that you are hyper.

To piggy back on lovlkn's thread, do you have your lab work with ranges to share? Not only your TSH, but T4 and T3 and maybe anything else they may have tested like antibodies. The board could be more helpful if that information was available.

Now I am not a dr. but I would be concerned that anything designed to mimic or replace steroids might not be the best thing right now especially if it might interfere with your blood work. Did you Dr. prescribe anything?

And by the way, waiting two weeks for an ultrasound sounds a little slow. The report was probably delivered withing a week or so, so you might want to follow up with your Dr.

·
Registered
11 Posts
T3 49 (High) [22 - 35%]

T4 15.0 (High) [4.5 - 12.0 mcg/dL]

Free T4 Index 7.4 (High) [1.4 - 3.8]

TSH 0.01 (Low) [0.40 - 4.50 mIU/L]

Tapazole 5 mg 3 x per day

Ultrasound is negative. All portions showing "essentially normal and uniform echotexture."

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
Would you edit your post to add the ranges, please? Some labs use different ranges but you look pretty hyper.. Are you on a beta blocker too? What is the next step in your treatment plan?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have beta blockers. But it's been three days since I started the Methimazole and my resting BPM is now staying below 90 on its own for the most part. I used to need three 5-mg beta blocker pills to get my heart rate below 110. Now it's generally at 85. So I've cut down to two pills twice daily.

Doctor wants to see how I respond to the anti-thyroid meds. The doctors at this office are not keen on destroying the thyroid in hyperthyroid cases. I'm supposed to return for bloodwork in a few weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For posterity:

Today marks EXACTLY two weeks that I started Methimazole @ 5 mg every 8 hours (3 x per day). I am feeling pretty much back to my old self.

I'm still a lot lighter so I'm a lot weaker than I was a few months ago. But I have stopped trembling. I don't lose my breath from light exertion. My resting BPM is consistently under 80 BPM. I feel like running and jumping again.

I'm not sure I'm actually ready for the intense exertion of sprinting and weight lifting, though. Also, my sex drive is much improved, but not quite where I think it should be. So I'm guessing I really need a few more weeks before truly being back to normal.

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
Good news and you are correct, you are not ready to run and jump. So glad to hear that you feel better!

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
Yeah, give it time before jumping back into exercise. Your heart needs a chance to relax and recover, as does your body.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
GaryG,

Have you had TSI , TPO and Thyroglobulin antibodies tests?

I'm happy to hear that the tapazole appears to be working for you - when are your next labs? Every 4 weeks at minimum would be a good idea until you stabilize.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GaryG,

Have you had TSI , TPO and Thyroglobulin antibodies tests?

I'm happy to hear that the tapazole appears to be working for you - when are your next labs? Every 4 weeks at minimum would be a good idea until you stabilize.
I have a lot going on now. Moved across country and I'm having a hard time starting up with a new provider.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
These would have been tests run prior to your starting the Tapazole.

Phone your old doctors office where your initial labs were drawn and ask them to send you a copy of the actual lab's to include ranges. I have noticed the MD's of the world are now making labs available online with no actual range and rather a scale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
T3 49 (High) [22 - 35%]

T4 15.0 (High) [4.5 - 12.0 mcg/dL]

Free T4 Index 7.4 (High) [1.4 - 3.8]

TSH 0.01 (Low) [0.40 - 4.50 mIU/L]

Tapazole 5 mg 3 x per day

Ultrasound is negative. All portions showing "essentially normal and uniform echotexture."
I posted my initial blood work result weeks ago.

Got new ones today

TSH is now under 0.006

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
No need to worry about TSH, FT-4 and FT-3 will give you the best idea where your htyroid hormones are.

Did they run anything other than TSH?

·
Registered
11 Posts
New labs today.

Component, Your Value, Standard Range

TSH -- 8.25 uIU/mL -- 0.40 - 4.20 uIU/mL

Component, Your Value, Standard Range Free

T4 -- 1.3 ng/dL -- 0.8 - 1.7 ng/dL

I think I'm technically hypothyroid now thanks to Methimazole at 3 x 5 mg daily. I titrated to twice daily when I started running low and before my new insurance kicked. New endo says it was a good move and wants me to stay on twice daily.

For reference, my TSH was 0.004 a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Gary, how are you feeling?

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
New labs today.

Component, Your Value, Standard Range

TSH -- 8.25 uIU/mL -- 0.40 - 4.20 uIU/mL

Component, Your Value, Standard Range Free

T4 -- 1.3 ng/dL -- 0.8 - 1.7 ng/dL

I think I'm technically hypothyroid now thanks to Methimazole at 3 x 5 mg daily. I titrated to twice daily when I started running low and before my new insurance kicked. New endo says it was a good move and wants me to stay on twice daily.

For reference, my TSH was 0.004 a couple months ago.
Your Endo needs to "feel" what HYPO to get some TSH feels like.

I suggest you lab 4 weeks after you drop your dose to prevent going further hypo. Lab prior to the appointment so you can "discuss" with your Endo. Take a lab tracking sheet and bring your Endo a copy. Date, dose, lab result, range, how you feel.

Labs to insist they run Free T-4 and Free T-3.

My endo took me from totally hyper to totally hypo and it was tough clawing out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gary, how are you feeling?
Stressed and unable to experience joy.

My libido returned briefly for a couple of weeks, but has since vanished.

Your Endo needs to "feel" what HYPO to get some TSH feels like.

I suggest you lab 4 weeks after you drop your dose to prevent going further hypo. Lab prior to the appointment so you can "discuss" with your Endo. Take a lab tracking sheet and bring your Endo a copy. Date, dose, lab result, range, how you feel.

Labs to insist they run Free T-4 and Free T-3.

My endo took me from totally hyper to totally hypo and it was tough clawing out.
I'm going to self-medicate on this one. I've stopped taking Methimazole and will only start again when my labs indicate I'm going hyper. And this time I'll feel out the dose so that I stay within range.

My endo will have me getting labs once per month. It's only $30 a pop with my insurance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts