Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1 Posts
hi,

I was told about 3 weeks ago by my endo. that my thyroid had gone overactive. TSH was >.05% I have two nodules, one is .8 cm and one is 1.4 cm.

I went for an uptake and scan test and the 24 hour uptake was .9%. That's all the girl was able to tell me the day of the test last week. I am waiting to hear results from my endo.

I may have subacute thyroiditis, I thought I had the flu a few weeks ago (or with the symptoms it could have been my thyroid acting up).

Even though I have other stomach/digestive problems, I've been eating healthy and getting lots of fiber and I had been ok as far as not having diarrhea until tonight. I've been running back and forth to the bathroom. It doesn't feel like it does when I have my usual digestive upsets. I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to get to sleep. I don't think I have a fever but I do feel pretty warm inside, plus a bit nauseous.

Is there anything you can do to prevent the diarrhea associated with hyperthyroidism, other than thyroid meds?
Whether you've also had subacute thryoiditis or not, when do you think is the point when I should ask the endo to put me on thyroid meds, if my doctor doesn't suggest it based on the thryoid scan results?

If you have had subacute thyroiditis (or have it now), have you just had to live with these kind of symptoms until it resolves?

Also, any idea why my endo isn't testing me for any thyroid antibodies yet? Is that really important or can she diagnose through the thryoid scan and reg. free t3, free t4 and tsh.

thanks!

·
46 Posts
I really have NO answers for you, but my only suggestion is to call your endo tomorrow. She should've gotten the uptake test results of the day they completed the second day of testing or the next business day.

She will conceivably have your uptake results ready and she should be able to tell you exactly what they mean. (Personally, my uptake test was done by a med student whose first language wasn't English and didn't tell me jack squat. I was kept waiting, too.) My guess is your doctor will have an idea of what direction to take (meds, more tests, etc.) after she examines your uptake results. Sometimes doctors need a friendly reminder that you are waiting on them.

Did she (or someone else) put you on any other kinds of meds? A beta-blocker maybe? In my case, I had no digestive issues associated with my Graves' until I was put on a beta-blocker. The doc thought I was crazy, but it was the only change in my diet/lifestyle/whatever.

If the doctor doesn't want to give you medicines you think you need, won't perform tests, or in general is a pain in the butt, it never hurts to get a second opinion. The important thing is that you find someone you are comfortable with and who will work with you. I would start with a phone call, though.

Good luck!

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
I never found any relief regarding the diarrhea while I was hyper. I think you should ask for antibody tests to be run, and an FNA. I don't think it is proper protocol for the technician to give you any results about RAIU, or any diagnostic testing, a call to the endo woudl be a good idea. Do you have a follow up appointment? Are you on anti-thyroid medication or a beta blocker?

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
melia24 said:
hi,

I was told about 3 weeks ago by my endo. that my thyroid had gone overactive. TSH was >.05% I have two nodules, one is .8 cm and one is 1.4 cm.

I went for an uptake and scan test and the 24 hour uptake was .9%. That's all the girl was able to tell me the day of the test last week. I am waiting to hear results from my endo.

I may have subacute thyroiditis, I thought I had the flu a few weeks ago (or with the symptoms it could have been my thyroid acting up).

Even though I have other stomach/digestive problems, I've been eating healthy and getting lots of fiber and I had been ok as far as not having diarrhea until tonight. I've been running back and forth to the bathroom. It doesn't feel like it does when I have my usual digestive upsets. I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to get to sleep. I don't think I have a fever but I do feel pretty warm inside, plus a bit nauseous.

Is there anything you can do to prevent the diarrhea associated with hyperthyroidism, other than thyroid meds?
Whether you've also had subacute thryoiditis or not, when do you think is the point when I should ask the endo to put me on thyroid meds, if my doctor doesn't suggest it based on the thryoid scan results?

If you have had subacute thyroiditis (or have it now), have you just had to live with these kind of symptoms until it resolves?

Also, any idea why my endo isn't testing me for any thyroid antibodies yet? Is that really important or can she diagnose through the thryoid scan and reg. free t3, free t4 and tsh.

thanks!

You definitely need these tests. And they look overwhelming but they are not in that not a lot of blood has to be drawn.

TSI
Normally, there is no TSI in the blood. If TSI is found in the blood, this indicates that the thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin is the cause of the of a person's hyperthyroidism.
http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/thyroid-antibodies/tab/test

Trab
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17684583

TBII
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9364248

TPO (antimicrosomal antibodies) TBII (thyrotropin-binding inhibitory immunoglobulin), Thyroglobulin and Thyroglobulin Ab, ANA (antinuclear antibodies), (thyroid hormone panel) TSH, Free T3, Free T4.

You can look this stuff up here and more.........
http://www.labtestsonline.org/

Trab
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17684583

·
110 Posts
I can't help, but wanted to welcome you! :)

·
Super Gold Veteran
1,550 Posts
Not all people have diarrhea with this condition. Possible it could be caused by something else.

You need to be assertive with your doctor and "demand" that the thyroid antibodies tests be run. If your doctor refuses, start shopping for another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts