Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Yes, hypothyroid can significantly inhibit weight loss.

It's important that you don't rely on TSH. Get TSH, free t3 and free t4 tested.

Have you had a thyroid ultrasound?

Reactions: Lovlkn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had all those components checked once. Will have to check if I have those results. Yes, I've had 2 ultrasounds and I do have a nodule that is being watched with a annual ultrasound schedule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recent Lab Results:

TSH = 1.61 (0.40-4.50)

T4 Free = 1.0 (0.8-1.8)

T3 Free = 2.3 (2.3-4.2)

T3 Reverse = 15 (8-25)

Thyroglobulin Antibodies = 14 (<=1)

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies = 5 (<9)

Also had Lipid and Metabolic Panel Done

Only Sodium, Calcium and Albumin were out of range all on the low side.

These were all fasting results and I had done a 5k Run and walked 5 miles that morning so that would probably explain the low sodium.

Feeling very symptomatic with hair loss, brittle nails, hunger, and fatigue. Currently on 75 MCG Synthroid.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Can you please edit your FT-4 and FT-3 ranges in please? They are usually in ( ).

Based on what I see and not knowing your actual ranges - you look hypo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made the edit. I thought ranges were the same for everyone. I was diagnosed with Hashi's. Just don't know what needs to be changed to reduce symptoms since everything is in range except the TA which is indicating the Immune System attack on my Thyroid.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
TSH = 1.61 (0.40-4.50)

T4 Free = 1.0 (0.8-1.8) (( 1.20-1.40))

T3 Free = 2.3 (2.3-4.2) (( 3.25-3.725))

T3 Reverse = 15 (8-25)

Thyroglobulin Antibodies = 14 (<=1)

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies = 5 (<9)
You are HYPOTHYROID - most if not all of your issues will probably resolve once your thyroid is in normal ranges. Your thyroglobulin result is something to take seriously. While autoimmune thyroid patients can have thyroglobulin - it is also a cancer marker. Have you had a Fine needle aspiration of your nodule? How big is the nodule?

How much have you cleaned up your diet? Your TPO is low and likely could disappear if you adjust diet.

From experiences shared on this board there is a trend to try and fall somewhere between 1/2-3/4 of the range for FT-4 and FT-3. That's where most report feeling their best. I have edited in that range in ((bold)) in the quote above.

TSH- useless test as it can lag up to 6 weeks and is also impacted by different antibodies circulating in a body.

Your FT-4 is clearly below the range within a range that I mentioned. I consider that a hypo result.

Your FT-3 is also below normal range and also the 1/2-3/4 range, thus making you hypo.

Your reverse T3 looks pretty decent. You could first try raising your levothyroxine and see if it raises naturally - if both FT-4 and FT-3 are not increasing at same pace then T3 hormone would be a good thing to ask for. Like 5mcg to start.

The best part... Once your FT-4 and FT-3 get into the 1/2-3/4 ranges you will likely go back to your starting weight or close to it.

Reactions: WhatHappened

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thyroid Ultrasound 1/22/2018 Report

[The left lobe measures 3.4 x 1 x 1 cm in the right 3.2 x 0.8 x 1.3 cm. The isthmus 2 mm.

Heterogeneous echotexture.

Left isthmic hypoechoic nodule 0.7 x 0.2 x 0.5 cm, previously 0.5 x 0.3 x 0.5 cm.

Impression: No significant interval change.]

The previous ultrasound was done on 2/25/2016 but I do not have the report for that one.

I did see an ENT, he said no further studies were needed due to its size and slow growth rate. Ultrasounds yearly to keep an eye on it.

Cleaned up diet? What do you exactly mean by that?

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Cleaned up diet? What do you exactly mean by that?
Whole foods - possibly eliminate gluten if it gives you issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts