Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a swollen neck for awhile and have had issues with swallowing but just thought it was allergies. Went to my Dr and he sent me for ultrasound. Results were some sort of cyst (the nurse said they are not sure). It is 3.8cm wide and is pushing on myu corodid artery. I have a cat scan in the morning. What are the chances of this being cancer? Blood work came back normal. My Dr won't give me a referral until he sees what the ct shows. Very worried!

·
248 Posts
First off - Welcome!

Umm, why won't your doctor give you a referral? Is he just debating as to whether to send you to an Endo or ENT or is it over whether to refer at all?

As for cancer, since they don't even know what it is, I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. I'd like to know what they plan to do with it since it's on top of an artery. Regardless of what it is, it's causing issues and you do need to go see someone who can help with that. And I would tell your doctor "Look, it's causing issues and probably needs to be removed/drained. I would like to have a referral in the works to a doctor that can make that happen while we work on the CT. Not wait around on more tests, then wait on the referral, then wait for scheduling. You wouldn't want to be treated like that, and neither do I".

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
Welcome to the board. Sorry for what brought you here, however.

Yes, there is a situation but you came to the right place. We have had several here w/ the cyst up against the carotid.

I am glad you are also having a CT; this will hopefully provide more information.

Do you know what blood work you had? If you do, could you post the results and the ranges?

It is hard to say what your doc will or won't do. Really FNA would be a good thing to see if there are cancer cells. On the other hand, you may be better off to see an ENT and just get the whole thing out at which point the pathologist will have a look see.

Others will have better input, I am sure. I very fortunately did not have that situation.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Hello, and welcome. I believe your next step should be an FNA biopsy, where they stick a fine needle in there and pull out some cells to get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Odds of it being cancer? I'm not really sure. But I can tell you this from experience: if it is cancer, it is very, very treatable. With very few exceptions, thyroid cancer has an excellent prognosis. (And regarding those exceptions...well, they are for very rare, very aggressive forms of thyroid cancer that are found too late. Very rare.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts