Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hypothyroid since past 9 yrs, now im taking eltroxin 100, major problem with me is whenever i eat foods containing wheat like chappatis (every day food of our home) i start feeling sleepy and lethargic, and i also get slight pain on back left side of my neck, i feel it when i turn my head towards left, this pain vanishes after few minutes. If i ask my doc abt gluten intolerance he just ignores it saying i dont have that, what should i do.. should i start avoiding gluten?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
There's no harm in experimenting. If you go off gluten for a good three months and feel better, that might be the key to your personal triggers/feeling better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It might help to have an alcat food allergy test, or do the food elimination diet....food plays a large role in how we feel, sleep and function.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had bad pain in my neck and shoulders. Going gluten free has eliminated all pain and stiffness on my left side. it can't hurt to go gluten free, although if you do, stick with it for a month. It took a couple weeks before I felt betterand some months for the pain to be completely gone. If you feel tired and lethargic after eating gluten, that is a sign of intolerance. HTH

·
Super Gold Veteran
1,666 Posts
Obviously something is up, since you notice these feelings when you eat wheat/gluten. What *exactly* it is, is hard to say without looking into it. Celiac and gluten sensitivity (not the same thing) can be tested for. Beware that you need to be consuming gluten to get tested for it. If you go GF and then decide to get tested, it may skew the results. Also, keep in mind that gluten can be found in a LOT of places. Everything from soy sauce to hamburgers. If your doctor is not receptive to what you feel is a legitimate issue, you can always look for another doctor. No point spinning your wheels while trying to get healthy. Ultimately, you are the best advocate for yourself.

As far as results go, I've also been GF for a couple of years now and there's no way I could go back. Has helped tremendously. Although those fresh donuts are tempting... :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.