Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Male, 58, former athlete, Hashimoto's with zero thryroid function and high antibodies including RNP antibodies.
Meds:
NP (natural dessicated thyroid) 135mg/day
Prednisone 10MG/d
Ezetimibe (cholesterol) 10mg/d
Aspirin, low dose

The problem is massive fatigue. Without Prednisone I'm non functional and can't stand up without help. The 10mg pred helps immensely, but is not a cure. I still have bouts of fatigue I can't overcome, other than sleeping it off.

I want to try T3 only. While my reverse T3 labs seem to come out OK (Note: every time they've been tested, I felt well) and my T3 levels are in the mid range, I've run out of things to try. I keep reading about people who use T3 multiple times per day and "titrate" up to a dose that works for them. And it relieves/cures their Chronic Fatigue.

Quite simply, I'm tired of being tired and having to sit down all the time. As a former athlete and gym guy, I would like to be able to do at least some exercise.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi! Sorry for what you’re dealing with. im not a doctor but I do take levothyroxine and liothyronine. I just went through, and am still dealing with, hell after changing my levothyroxine dose to increase my free T4. I was low on free T4 but good on free t3. while I was able to live my life, run half marathons and feel great, the low T4 made me feel really vulnerable.

So yes, you can focus on T3 treatment, but it may not be necessary to become optimal. I don’t know how the antibodies play into it, I don’t have a thyroid so this is what I would suggest to someone based on my own experience.

Get free T4 and free T3 labs. The last NDT or T3 dose should happen 12-15 hours before your labs. Liothyronine has a half life of 2.5 days and can linger in your system up to 12.5 days. When I am properly medicated, I have a decent morning number at about 50-60% range even though I haven’t taken any for 12-15 hours. Everyone is different, but that’s what works for me.

Right now I’m building up my liothyronine slowly again because I don’t know what it’s going to look like at this new T4 level, and I have to sit down and rest a lot, feel dizzy, weak, etc because it’s a process I need to take slowly and I’m not there yet. I do know some people on NDT also need to have liothyronine meds too. Do you have labs you can share?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts