Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! I came here to get support from others who are probably going through the same thing as I am. I'm 25 years old, with absolutely 0 energy, and a long list of symptoms all due to my overactive thyroid. I've been on Methimazole for almost 2 years, in which it brought my levels down to normal.

However, I still have allllllllll of the symptoms of an overactive thyroid, such as:

EXTREMEEEEE ANXIETY
Occasional depression- I feel like my hormones are all out of whack!
Hot flashes
Panic attacks
Extreme fatigue
Hardly any sex drive
etc. etc.

My endo told me that because I'm going on two years with the same symptoms, that I might need to think about iodine or surgery. I'm really struggling with both, because I've heard bad things about both.

I've also gained like 30 lbs. (a sign of hypo, even though my levels are normal). My doctor told me he thinks I might have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is pretty much an imbalance of hormones.

I'm so fed up with my health, I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm only 25 years old! Has anyone had the same diagnosis/problems/symptoms? My anxiety is really getting to me, and instead of going to get meds to mask it, I really would like to get to the root of the problem ie. my hormones, or my thyroid. I just don't know what to do.

Sending big hugs to all of you, because having thyroid disease is probably one of the most tiring, upsetting things EVER! :hugs: Looking forward to chatting with ya'll!

Bek

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add- i had extensive blood work last month, and turns out I was low in Vitamin D, and very high (over the limit) of testosterone. Obviously my hormones are very off!

·
Super Gold Veteran
548 Posts
Anxiety/panic attacks, check.
Bouts of depression, check.
Hot flashes, check.
Extreme fatigue, check.
No libido, check.

Now add heart palpitations, high heart rate but low blood pressure, NO muscle tone and fine tremors... you get the picture.

I've got both Graves and Hashi's so I gain weight during Hashi's phases and then don't drop it with the Graves, fun, fun. *sigh* :)

Personally, I've opted for the surgery. I came to the decision I really only wanted to do something once, and surgery is as close to permanent as it gets.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to have the heart palps, high heart rate, and tremors but those actually got better with medication. everything else is awful :( however during anxiety and panic they come back full force!!!

im really nervous about opting for surgery, but my endo said that there is a good chance my hyper will come back in a few years. plus, i still feel like crap!!!!

good luck with your surgery! how long have you been dealing with thyroid problems?

·
Super Gold Veteran
548 Posts
Thanks missbekk. :)

I guess I've gone under the knife so many times that it's just old hat anymore, and truthfully, anything is better than living like this. I was really nervous about my hysterectomy, but it was the best darn decision I've ever made to date.

I believe I've had thyroid problems since puberty but wasn't diagnosed until 2008. I know I had mitral valve prolapse as early as 13, which is about the same time I dropped a large amount of weight. I was a chunky child and pudgy tween but became almost too thin rather quickly and stayed that way until was in my late 30s. (I'm 45 now) For years I would go in with hyper symptoms and show a slightly off thyroid panel, but by the time they sent me to an Endo my numbers would be fine again. Finally in 08 it was a routine OB/Gyn appointment where my blood pressure was 65/42 and heart rate was 56 that they ran a panel and found that my TSH was 64. I was diagnosed then with the Hashi's only to go hyper a year later with another diagnosis of Graves. Now I cycle between the two approximately every 3 to 6 months, and I'm TIRED! lol

I understand nervous, but it helps to be in charge of your own health. Do your homework on surgeons and find someone that does a LOT of thyroid surgeries. I actually chose a doctor 2 1/2 hours away from my home town. He's the head of a teaching hospital's endocrinology surgery department and is a member of the thyroid surgeon's association. I live in a smallish city and healthcare here has never had that great of a reputation. I decided I'd really rather not take the chance and widened my search. So far my surgeon has been absolutely fantastic and I believe he was the best choice I could make and still have this done in state. Yeah, the ride home afterwards doesn't appeal, but it's better than trusting someone that hasn't done many of these surgeries.

Do you have any eye involvement with your symptoms? I have a little, which was another reason I chose the surgery over the RAI.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I had a different set of circumstances, but...prior to my surgery I had never gone under the knife, let alone ever been in the hospital. That said, it was without a doubt the best decision I have ever made. I mean, I would have rather been on a beach some place warm rather than in the hospital, but as surgey goes, I had virtually no pain, an easy recovery (my husband and I re-roofed our house ten days post-op), and have never felt better. If you can find a skilled surgeon, I highly recommend it.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
StormFinch said:
Thanks missbekk. :)

I guess I've gone under the knife so many times that it's just old hat anymore, and truthfully, anything is better than living like this. I was really nervous about my hysterectomy, but it was the best darn decision I've ever made to date.

I believe I've had thyroid problems since puberty but wasn't diagnosed until 2008. I know I had mitral valve prolapse as early as 13, which is about the same time I dropped a large amount of weight. I was a chunky child and pudgy tween but became almost too thin rather quickly and stayed that way until was in my late 30s. (I'm 45 now) For years I would go in with hyper symptoms and show a slightly off thyroid panel, but by the time they sent me to an Endo my numbers would be fine again. Finally in 08 it was a routine OB/Gyn appointment where my blood pressure was 65/42 and heart rate was 56 that they ran a panel and found that my TSH was 64. I was diagnosed then with the Hashi's only to go hyper a year later with another diagnosis of Graves. Now I cycle between the two approximately every 3 to 6 months, and I'm TIRED! lol

I understand nervous, but it helps to be in charge of your own health. Do your homework on surgeons and find someone that does a LOT of thyroid surgeries. I actually chose a doctor 2 1/2 hours away from my home town. He's the head of a teaching hospital's endocrinology surgery department and is a member of the thyroid surgeon's association. I live in a smallish city and healthcare here has never had that great of a reputation. I decided I'd really rather not take the chance and widened my search. So far my surgeon has been absolutely fantastic and I believe he was the best choice I could make and still have this done in state. Yeah, the ride home afterwards doesn't appeal, but it's better than trusting someone that hasn't done many of these surgeries.

Do you have any eye involvement with your symptoms? I have a little, which was another reason I chose the surgery over the RAI.
is hashi's a mixture of both? i can't imagine having both, when just one is bad enough!!! i'm so glad you are happy with your surgeon!! i will definitely have to do my research when the time comes.

i don't have the bulging eyes, but i do have itchy, dry eyes sometimes, and sometimes they get really tired feeling. i also think that i have a bump on my thyroid, but everytime i tell my endo, he agrees that it's enlarged. i had an ultrasound almost two years ago, and everything was fine.

i'm like you, i'm SO ready to start feeling better again!!!! my anxiety is so bad, too, that I would rather lay in my bed all day then go out and live life! :(

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
joplin1975 said:
I had a different set of circumstances, but...prior to my surgery I had never gone under the knife, let alone ever been in the hospital. That said, it was without a doubt the best decision I have ever made. I mean, I would have rather been on a beach some place warm rather than in the hospital, but as surgey goes, I had virtually no pain, an easy recovery (my husband and I re-roofed our house ten days post-op), and have never felt better. If you can find a skilled surgeon, I highly recommend it.
I am so so happy to read that having thyroid surgery was the best decision you've ever made!!! It definitely gives me hope knowing that there are good outcomes! Its hard for me to cope with the though of getting something removed that I'm supposed to have, and being dependent on medication for the rest of my life. But if I can feel better by doing it, I'm almost at the point of taking the plunge!!!

·
Super Gold Veteran
548 Posts
missbekk said:
is hashi's a mixture of both? i can't imagine having both, when just one is bad enough!!! i'm so glad you are happy with your surgeon!! i will definitely have to do my research when the time comes.

i don't have the bulging eyes, but i do have itchy, dry eyes sometimes, and sometimes they get really tired feeling. i also think that i have a bump on my thyroid, but everytime i tell my endo, he agrees that it's enlarged. i had an ultrasound almost two years ago, and everything was fine.

i'm like you, i'm SO ready to start feeling better again!!!! my anxiety is so bad, too, that I would rather lay in my bed all day then go out and live life! :(
Actually, Hashi's (Hashimoto's) is opposite of Graves, and then there is Hashitoxicosis which is both I believe. Not sure if that's me or not but I do show the antibodies for both and have had different uptake diagnoses at different times. Yeah, not fun, though at least I occasionally get a break from the hyper symptoms. Truthfully I do believe I'd rather be permanently hypo, the drugs aren't nearly as scary. lol

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
missbekk said:
Hello all!! I came here to get support from others who are probably going through the same thing as I am. I'm 25 years old, with absolutely 0 energy, and a long list of symptoms all due to my overactive thyroid. I've been on Methimazole for almost 2 years, in which it brought my levels down to normal.

However, I still have allllllllll of the symptoms of an overactive thyroid, such as:

EXTREMEEEEE ANXIETY
Occasional depression- I feel like my hormones are all out of whack!
Hot flashes
Panic attacks
Extreme fatigue
Hardly any sex drive
etc. etc.

My endo told me that because I'm going on two years with the same symptoms, that I might need to think about iodine or surgery. I'm really struggling with both, because I've heard bad things about both.

I've also gained like 30 lbs. (a sign of hypo, even though my levels are normal). My doctor told me he thinks I might have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is pretty much an imbalance of hormones.

I'm so fed up with my health, I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm only 25 years old! Has anyone had the same diagnosis/problems/symptoms? My anxiety is really getting to me, and instead of going to get meds to mask it, I really would like to get to the root of the problem ie. my hormones, or my thyroid. I just don't know what to do.

Sending big hugs to all of you, because having thyroid disease is probably one of the most tiring, upsetting things EVER! :hugs: Looking forward to chatting with ya'll!

Bek

It probably is about time that you make a decision regarding this and then when you do and you git 'er dun as they say, you will wonder why you went 2 years like you did.

That was my first feeling and thought pattern after I had RAI. But, it would be better to have surgery. Back in my day, I was not offered a choice. Surgery would have been the smarter choice because I now always wonder did I have cancer. Also, I had to have RAI 3 times. They can only give you so much radiation and in advanced cases such as mine was, the bad bad thyroid just would not give up the ghost!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.