Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
All the other symptoms of hypothyroidism I can deal with: the coldness, the weight, the inability to lose said weight, but this fatigue crap is straight-up BS, and it's gotten worse within the last couple of months. I feel exhausted all day long, from the time I wake up until I go to bed. Last year, I could at least look forward to being able to go to bed, but at some point along the way, I lost the ability to sleep. Even in the face of serious exhaustion, I would just roll around all night and get 1-2 hours of sleep, at best. I had a job for a short time for only about 3 hours a day and I'd come home and go right to bed because I was so tired, and I cringe to think how I'd ever be able to have a normal full-time job if I'm so tired all the time from doing absolutely nothing. I'm thankful that I have to be in a certain position to fall asleep, otherwise I'd probably be passing out while driving.

I'm only 28, yet I take at least one nap each day. Sometimes two, and sometimes I spend the day sleeping on and off. When I take a nap, it'll be for 2-3 hours and I'm still as tired when I wake back up as I was before I laid down. On several occasions when I've gone out with friends, I would be so tired that I'd be stumbling around like I was drunk and I'd have to go take a nap in my car to be able to keep going.

I know 90-year-olds who have more energy than I do, and I can't take this much longer. There are so many things I want to do that I simply have no energy to do. The brain fog that accompanies the fatigue is awful too, especially since I'm an artist. Every single thing I draw is so frustrating, which is why I've got a backlog of commissions going back two years - I want to finish these projects as well as start some new ones, but I just do not have it in me. I hate feeling like this - coffee and energy drinks don't help, B-complex vitamins don't help, OTC sleep aids like ZZZQuil don't do anything to help me sleep, forcing myself to stay awake until I'm too exhausted to see straight doesn't help me sleep, exercising doesn't help wake me up. Prior to getting sick, I could go romp around for 10-15 minutes to relieve tiredness, but now exercise just makes me feel worse.

Is there any way to overcome this godawful fatigue? Being so wiped out all the time at my age is embarrassing. At the moment, I am not on any thyroid medications. I have to cross my fingers and hope my doctor will refer me to an endocrinologist, but since my TSH was within normal range back in September, I'm expecting that she'll refuse to refer me, meaning I'll have to go find a new doctor, wait months to be seen and hope that they refer me (since I can't see an endo without a referral at my hospital).

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts
TSH 3.76 on 10/15

Doctor refuses to medicate because levels fall within normal range; still uninsured and cannot afford endo. Antibodies not tested.
What is holding you back from seeing a new doctor? You are clearly hypo and will not feel well until you are properly medicated.

Is there a free health clinic you can go to?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I first want to see if my doctor who discovered my thyroid disease and has ordered all my thyroid tests would be willing to refer me. I just got insurance and have not yet gone to see my PCP, and I don't know how long of a wait there will be to see them, and on top of that, I'm fairly sure the doctors and nurses in the urgent care clinic cannot do referrals at my hospital. So, if my current doctor (OB/GYN, to be specific) refuses to refer me, I'll make an appointment with my newly-appointed primary care physician in the hope that they will refer me. Considering the fact that my OB/GYN actually discouraged me from seeking a second opinion from an endocrinologist two years ago, I do not expect her to refer me. She told me back in 2013 that my TSH was so close to being normal that not only would she not treat it, but no other doctor would either.

For the first time, it's not the cost that's a problem - it's finding a doctor who is willing to listen. When I went to the urgent care clinic earlier this month for a sinus infection, I was asked why I was no longer on levothyroxine. I told the nurse why, and even he was shocked that my idiot doctor refused to prescribe me necessary medication for a confirmed illness. But this is why I really want to see an endo - I know that there's much more that goes into thyroid disease than just TSH, and my OB/GYN doesn't realize that because it's not her speciality.

I was just wondering if there's anything else I can do to perk up my energy levels until such a time that I can start on medication and actually feel the effects of it (because that 25 mcg I was on two years ago didn't do crap!). I'm about this close to finding someone to sell me cocaine - I bet that would wake me up! :D

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Ridiculous!

Are you in the U.S.? If so, you may be able to order your own labwork...or you might just want to get that initial appointment with the new PCP scheduled as soon as possible, and have that doc order a COMPLETE thyroid panel, including antibodies.

To answer your question...I sometimes pop half of a caffeine pill as a little pick-me-up during my hypo periods. It's probably not a good thing to do, but it does temporarily give me energy.

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts
Labs often low in thyroid patients related to energy include B-12, Vitamin D and Ferritin.

If you have those 3 tests - if found low - all can be treated with OTC replacement supplements.

If you have your levothyroxine and it has refills, you might consider to begin taking - its been prescribed for a reason, although your dose of 25mcg is tiny dose. I've found walking into a new doctor with an existing prescription makes it easier to receive a new higher prescription.

Most if not all GP's will easily dose thyroid hormone replacement. You might also consider an integrative doc, although you will pay out of pocket for those office visits as most are not on an approved list for health insurers, the labs are covered as far as I know for these sorts of doctors.

Just make sure you ask for the Free T-4 and Free T-3 labs in addition of your TSH when having labs drawn. Thyroid antibodies, TPO and thyroglobulin as well as an ultrasound of your gland would also be a good idea.

Reactions: Octavia

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not currently have a levothyroxine prescription (or any thyroid meds, for that matter); my doctor refused to put me back on it due to my TSH being 3.76 and therefore normal as far as the hospital is concerned as of September 2015. However, I do know that I cannot have hypothyroidism one year and not the next, which is why I want to see an endocrinologist. My OB/GYN feels that thyroid disease is all about TSH and nothing else, so she won't even give me a piddly 25 mcg dose right now.

I also question if my PCP would listen to me and order tests I ask for. Do doctors listen to patients if they request specific testing? I'd like to have these tests done before I go see an endo so they have all this info at their disposal by the time I go see them. I want to go to an endocrinologist for the initial dosing, but I figure I can visit a GP for refills and to order those delightful annual blood tests that hypothyroid patients need.

I am just so sick of being tired all the time. How can I possibly be so tired when I don't even do anything?! It's even worse when people tell me that I'm just being lazy when they know I'm sick. My mother is quite fond of telling me that "there's more to life than sleeping." Sure there is, but when you're exhausted all the time, it's definitely up there among your top three priorities.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
I'd be willing to bet hard-earned money that in addition to your thyroid levels not being ideal, you're low in B-12, Vitamin D, and/or Ferritin. I say this because while low thyroid levels aren't fun, they're unlikely to leave you practically bedridden for months/years. (Then again, yours have been low for years, so maybe the cumulative effect...) I just think there's more to your story to be discovered.

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something I see mentioned quite a bit when I try to find information on hypothyroidism is adrenal fatigue, and after reading some symptoms of it, I wonder if I could be experiencing that along with the effects of an underactive thyroid. Two symptoms read really leapt out at me: feeling fatigue even after sleeping, and feeling a little "boost" in alertness late at night. I constantly feel like I haven't slept at all even when I just wake up, and usually I feel a little bit more awake after midnight, which makes it difficult for me to fall asleep sometimes. Even now, after I slept for about six hours last night and then went back to sleep around 1pm for another three hours, I'm still just as exhausted as I was before I went to bed last night.

I know Octavia mentioned the possibility of vitamin deficiencies, but would they cause fatigue this severe? I've also looked into these self-blood-testing locations and the closest one to me is about two hours away. My biggest issue with this is money; I do not have $280 I can spare for the tests (I wouldn't even be trying to see an endo if it weren't for Medicaid, which I thankfully don't need to pay for) and however much travel costs would be. I'm not working and I have to put any spare money I have toward student loan bills, which are around $500 a month.

I guess I'm concerned that if I say to a doctor - either a PCP or an endo - that I would like for them to order specific tests for me, they'll go, "Oh what do you know? I'm the doctor and you're the patient" or they'll say those tests are, for whatever reason, unnecessary. The doctors around here can be morons at times, and I've had to deal with a few doozies... one telling me there is no possible way the medication I was taking could make me nauseous, another prescribing me a month of potent antibiotics for having perfectly normal bacteria present in my urine, another sending me to the ER for a suspected kidney stone because I had a little cramp in my side from shoveling snow for 2 hours, another accusing me of having an eating disorder because I'd lost a noticeable amound of weight within a year, and of course my current doctor not putting me on thyroid meds when she knows I have thyroid disease.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, if there's one thing I've learned after YEARS of infertility, and now Hypothyroidism, it's that you HAVE to speak up and be your own advocate. You HAVE to be pushy. Not only ASK for those tests, but make sure they hear ALL of your symptoms too. Mainstream Dos love to look at the bloodwork and assume they are seeing the whole picture. They aren't. They're forgetting the most important piece of the puzzle - the human being sitting in front of them...
That, and you'd be incredibly surprised how many Dr's do not keep up with continuing education and stay on the forefront of what's changing in their own career field. One thing I do, when I go in asking for this or that or telling them where they're wrong, is I make sure to bring source documents with reliable sources sited. So the American thyroid association in this case. Mayo Clinic would be another... find info that states your levels are indeed high. Find info that states your symptoms suggest Hashimotos.
Look into Dr. Izabella Wentz "The thyroid secret". She'll give you a WEALTH of information.

In the meantime, while I did not have debilitating fatigue like you (I still was able to work full time), I found that eating gluten/dairy/sugar free has helped Immensely with the brain fog, memory loss and fatigue. I've also discovered along the way, thru process of elimination, that I am gluten sensitive, so I just stay away from it altogether.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have bad fatigue at the moment my test came back thyroid out of balance again and iron low.
Have you been getting any hair loss?
Also I suffer from depression could it be that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts