Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My doctor noticed some swelling in my thyroid recently and ordered an ultrasound. It revealed a 4cm single nodule on my right side thyroid. In addition, there were 3 very small cysts (2 on left and 1 on right).

Below are the results of the lab that I had taken afterwards.

Component My Value Standard Range

TSH 0.59 uIU/mL 0.35 - 5.00 uIU/mL

Total T3 0.82 ng/mL 0.58 - 1.59 ng/mL
Free T4 1.2 ng/dL 0.7 - 1.9 ng/dL
Intact PTH 48.0 pg/mL 7.2 - 111.9 pg/mL

Anti-Tg 8.1 IU/mL 0.1 - 4.1 IU/mL

Anti-TPO <0.5 IU/mL 0.0 - 5.6 IU/mL

I was referred to an endocrinologist and just had an FNA biopsy on the nodule earlier this week. By Friday, I had still not heard from my doctor's office so I called them. The nurse told me that they had the results back, and she thought the doctor had reviewed them already, but had just not signed off on them yet. So, she said she couldn't tell me anything. I understand why, but that was truly unnerving.

I know most nodules are benign and this has been carrying me through these last few weeks. What I am most concerned about are the Anti-TG levels being above standard range. I am also confused as some sites say that the reference range is less than 116, not 4. Can someone please tell me if that is a high enough range to be concerned about, in context with the rest of the results?

I am a bundle of nerves waiting. Based on the diagnosis and my lab results, can anyone tell me what I may be able to expect?

Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Hi!

So, different labs use different ranges. It has to do with the technique they use to get the result.

Things that make a nodule suspicious: if it's single or dominant, if it's larger than 1cm, if it had increased vascularity or calcificcations, and elevated Tg or TgAB levels.

You have a couple of those so it certainly merits a hard look. I can't really tell you much more until you get your results back but I will say that your doctors lack of response could be due to the fact that many times the results come back inconclusive.

Regardless, a 4cm nodule will probably merit a surgical consult.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts