Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common for melanoma to occur as a secondary cancer after papillary thyroid cancer?

The reason I ask this is because I was diagnosed and treated for papillary thyroid cancer (total thyroidectomy + radioactive iodine treatment) at the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 and am now showing symptoms of melanoma in a part of my body that does not get much sun (upper back, multi-colored mole has doubled in size after 1 month and is scaly and very itchy).

Does anyone have any information with regards to this? Thank you for all of your help.

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
Elle Dee said:
Is it common for melanoma to occur as a secondary cancer after papillary thyroid cancer?

The reason I ask this is because I was diagnosed and treated for papillary thyroid cancer (total thyroidectomy + radioactive iodine treatment) at the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 and am now showing symptoms of melanoma in a part of my body that does not get much sun (upper back, multi-colored mole has doubled in size after 1 month and is scaly and very itchy).

Does anyone have any information with regards to this? Thank you for all of your help.
Just bumping you up in case you got lost in the rush here! LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Not that I know of. Probably coincidence.

But you DO know how serious melanoma can be, right? Are you seeing a dermatologist?

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it scheduled to be removed and biopsied this Wednesday. I'm trying not to freak out about it too much, since I don't have anything conclusive, but--yeah. I went to a dermatologist right when I noticed something odd about it (at that point, it was just itchy, really dry, and seemed a bit bigger than I had remembered), so if it does turn out to be the worst case scenario, I'm hoping I caught it in the early early stages.

Thanks for your response!

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Good to hear. Keep us posted, would you?

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
I did have some sort of cancerous thing removed in October or November, just about in the same location you describe but I don't think it was connected to the thyroid cancer. It had begun to change in appearance, size and was itchy. I just looked up the path report, it had no connection to thyroid cancer.

Think positive thoughts, and hang in there!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
webster2 said:
I did have some sort of cancerous thing removed in October or November, just about in the same location you describe but I don't think it was connected to the thyroid cancer. It had begun to change in appearance, size and was itchy. I just looked up the path report, it had no connection to thyroid cancer.

Think positive thoughts, and hang in there!
Thank you for sharing your story with me! It does help to hear that other people have gone through this. I hope you're doing well!

I'll update this thread once I have my results.

·
Super Gold Veteran
436 Posts
Just a thought. My husband had a mole on his back that started getting bigger and was itchy. Had a bit fight to get him to the dermotologists. It was an age spot. Hope all goes well. Having good feelings about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts