Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the 25 yr old mother of Alexis(currently pregnant with number 2).She was diagnosed with Hashimotos June 7/13. It all started 8 weeks prior with a very lg swollen lymph node in her neck RT, about the size of a tennis ball. After blood test and an ultrasound everything seemed normal and the lymph node started to shrink after some powerful antibiotics. A few days after our check up with her pediatrician the final report came back noting that her thyroid should be tested as it is sometimes the cause of her symptom (swollen lymph-with no other signs of illness). Her Dr. called me to explain this, I never thought anything of it because it seemed unlikely. When the blood work came back about a week after her T4 and T3 were low. We waited about 6 weeks and tested her again, then her TSH was high, T4 and T3 were normal and she was positive for thyroid antibodies. With a final diagnoses of Hashimotos. This is rare but not unseen for children of her age. We are waiting 8 weeks and will start treatment if need be at that time. We will be treating her with T4.

Her father has thyroid problems run in his family, his mothers brother and a distant aunt.

I research online but my minds on information over load. I have made an appointment with a naturopathic Dr. and plan on working with both Dr's. I'm trying not to stress but the more I read the less stressed I become.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
MomofHashi said:
I'm the 25 yr old mother of Alexis(currently pregnant with number 2).She was diagnosed with Hashimotos June 7/13. It all started 8 weeks prior with a very lg swollen lymph node in her neck RT, about the size of a tennis ball. After blood test and an ultrasound everything seemed normal and the lymph node started to shrink after some powerful antibiotics. A few days after our check up with her pediatrician the final report came back noting that her thyroid should be tested as it is sometimes the cause of her symptom (swollen lymph-with no other signs of illness). Her Dr. called me to explain this, I never thought anything of it because it seemed unlikely. When the blood work came back about a week after her T4 and T3 were low. We waited about 6 weeks and tested her again, then her TSH was high, T4 and T3 were normal and she was positive for thyroid antibodies. With a final diagnoses of Hashimotos. This is rare but not unseen for children of her age. We are waiting 8 weeks and will start treatment if need be at that time. We will be treating her with T4.

Her father has thyroid problems run in his family, his mothers brother and a distant aunt.

I research online but my minds on information over load. I have made an appointment with a naturopathic Dr. and plan on working with both Dr's. I'm trying not to stress but the more I read the less stressed I become.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Gee whiz; I hate it when the little ones have health issues.

The most important thing that should be done is an ultra-sound of your daughter's thyroid.

And here is some "credible" information.

http://www.thyroidmanager.org/chapt...d-gland-in-infancy-childhood-and-adolescence/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts