Thyroid Disease Forum banner

Nail beading "ridges"

15K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Tui 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have pretty advanced Hashimoto's.

I have shown and ask the Doctors about my fingernails.

But never really got a straight answer if they are related to my thyroid issues.

Anyone else got nails that look like this?

All my fingernails look like this, some worse than others.

View attachment 41

#2 ·
Hi. I don't have hashimoto's, but my nails are pretty "ridgey," too. I guess I must not pay attention to it too much, because I was initially going to tell you that my nails used to have ridges, but they don't anymore. Then I actually looked at them, and, well...they still have many, many ridges!

#3 ·
I noticed this change in 2009 before the debilitating symptoms started.

Before that my nails were perfectly smooth.

My nails are not dry or brittle either .

Just very deep vertical ridges.

Some nails have flat spots and are sort of deformed.

They still grow good but sometimes unevenly.

I am sure this has got to be part of the thyroid disease.

My toenails look ok but a few of them just lifted up and fell off.

They did grow back but fell off again a few times.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
creepingdeath, refresh my memory: Were you also being investigated for lupus? Nail ridging can be associated with lupus as well as thyroid problems. My endocrinologist asked "Do your nails have ridges?" as she grabbed my hands to check during our first appointment, and I do but they're quite minor. (I have Hashimoto's.) Rheumatologists are usually interested in nail health as well when trying to diagnose you.

#5 ·
I had antibody tests done.

these were the results so far.

Positive ANA test 1:80 which is low positive

Negative Lyme disease

Negative Rheumatoid Arthritis

Double stranded DNA test was negative for Lupus

I had even more blood drawn Tuesday to check for even more autoimmune diseases.

I am thinking all these horrible symptoms are from a very long time untreated thyroid.

I am back on Levothyroxine but at a very low starting dose.

Endo thinks my PCP started me off on too much of a dose too soon which caused a devastating shock to my system.

I am just hoping it did not cause any permanent damage.

Some people get these ridges with age but mine are very, very pronounced.

I am a guy and the way my nails look doesn't really bother me .

I am just trying to find out if all these changes that have happened to me are all thyroid related.

#6 ·
That's exactly how my nails looks like! And have been looking starting these past two years. My half-moons in the nail beds are missing too exept on my thumbs and pointer finger. My fingertips are also always wrinkled/pruned as if I've been soaking them in water. The plumpness is gone. All of these I've now read from different people is due to thyroid issues.

#8 ·
Yup, I have ridges here, too. (Though not usually as pronounced as yours in the pic.) I've also noticed when I am swinging hypo or seemingly under-medicated, that my nails will be very prone to cracking and chipping, and are very weak. Usually accompanied by dry skin, cracking toes (deep cracks through several layers) and heels that look like an alligator. All the lotion in the world won't do anything. Typically, once I have a dose increase, these things will all improve on their own and heal up. Heck, I just ran into this over the last few weeks.

At first, I thought I was just not drinking enough water or it was hot & dry outside. But then I realized it didn't matter how hydrated I was, or what the weather was up to. Besides, no such thing as a coincidence. :)

#11 ·
Interesting, I did not know the ridges were related to thyroid, mine are minor

#13 ·
I've always had vertical ridges (dx'd with lupus for 20 years, probably had longer than that), and I know they can be associated with aging, too. But in the last few years, the ridges have changed--more beading/dripping candle wax look. Maybe coincidence, but seemed to correspond with other worsening symptoms.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
The ridges can be from aging but when they are as bad as mine which are even worse then when I first posted, there is definitely some systemic disease going on .

The beading is real bad on some and others look as if they have some sort of binary code of dots and dashes on them. You can grate cheese on my left thumb nail.

My Brother told me my nails look kind of reptilian.

I'll have to take pix's and post what they look like now.

"My big Brother is an "A~hole".......................

#15 ·
All big brothers qualify, it's how we show affection.

I think I remember having moons, but they are gone now. (except the thumbs)

#16 ·
Here's a great link all about this subject, with pictures of all types of nail issues:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/712251_2

Here's what it says about longitudinal beading:

"With nail beading, the beads seem to drip down the nail like wax (Figure 11). It is associated with endocrine conditions, including the following:

• Diabetes mellitus;

• Thyroid disorders;

• Addison's disease; and

• Vitamin B deficiency."

I had "beau's lines" a few times during the past year. My nails are much better since I started taking a digestive enzyme supplement to help me get more from my food, and a strong b-complex. Biotin is know for nail health.

#17 ·
Interesting, I did not know the ridges were related to thyroid, mine are minor
I have ridges too. Didn't know thyroid could cause these.
I've had superficial ridges in my fingernails for as long as I can remember (even as a kid). When I say superficial, I mean not nearly as severe as those shown in the original post. It makes me wonder if I was mildly hypothyroid even back then. Then again, I've been taking NDT for about seven weeks now and the ridges aren't changing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.