Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Long story short, been hypo for about 17 years. 8 years ago a dietician picked up Hashimotos (anti bodies over 900, should be under 9 in South Africa), but never told me. 2 years later a doctor also picked it up, told me that it is due to over medicating and will fix itself after adjusting dosage. 4 weeks ago I had first ever ultrasound and Hashimotos has definitely caused havoc. Saw a endo 2 days later, got admitted for tests and Lupus also got diagnosed.

Here is my ultrasound results and my thyroid uptake scan results.

Seeing my endo tomorrow for a follow up after the hospital tests.

I'm still finding my feet with all of this, struggling with severe fatigue at the moment that is really getting me down especially with 4 kids.

What do you think of the scans below?

Handwriting Font Recipe Paper Writing
Gesture Font Recipe Thumb Paper product
Rectangle Font Material property Wood Flooring

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hashimoto's for well over a quarter century now, I'm male, 58 formerly athletic. It's been an excrement sandwich for dinner, with a large side helping of medical doctors that simply do not understand what is happening and why.

The very first thing I discovered is that despite the medication, problems persist and worsen. There is plenty of good advice on this forum and other internet sources. However, I'd "suggest" that a return to normal is not possible for some people, despite perfect labs.

I believe that those high antibodies do damage to more than the thyroid. Over time, many Hashimoto's patients become morbidly obese, possibly due to episodes of low blood sugar, requiring more food intake, and a metabolism controlled by a pill, instead of an active feedback system. I went from an athletic 180 pounds to 235 in the first 6 months. Despite eating less! It's been a battle ever since. I did get myself back down to 180 through outright starvation, but was unable to maintain that weight, despite an 800 calorie diet. All the low calorie intake did was reduce my energy expenditure to hibernation-levels.

One autoimmune disease is often followed by another. Don't believe people that say "diet and exercise" is a cure-all. It's not, and it won't "fix" autoimmune issues. Nor is Hashimoto's and Lupus caused by something you've done wrong, despite plenty of YouTube videos claiming that your lifestyle, diet or exercise pattern is to blame.

Nothing I do reduces antibodies. Prednisone is the only thing that helps, and that makes managing weight even more difficult. That's me flying my plane. I do have to keep my labs perfect for the FAA medical certification. But the bottom line is that I'm fatigued beyond belief all the time, I can't function, perform poorly at work and have multiple additional issues now. Mitochondrial dysfunction, high RNp antibodies and extreme exercise intolerance. I am 100% sedentary and can't stand it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts