Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Glad this forum exists! I am new here.

I asked for a physical from my doctor because of some off-the-wall life insurance physical results re: cholesterol levels. She reviewed them and ordered some additional bloodwork and then felt my neck and said my thyroid was enlarged, so also ordered a thyroid ultrasound.

Well, had that today, just got the report emailed to me:

IMPRESSION:
Multiple thyroid nodules, four of which are tiny; however, in the upper pole
of the left lobe, there is a large heterogeneous nodule with irregular borders
and punctate calcifications, measuring 2.6 x 1.6 x 1.5 cm. A neoplastic process
cannot be excluded. Recommend thyroid nodule biopsy by ultrasound guidance.

What does this mean? Ahhh! I'm a mom of two little, little kids and am just kind of scared.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Welcome!

Ultrasounds are used to just look at the structural characteristics about the thyroid. The scans don't really say what the nodule is or why it's there.

The vast, vast majority of thyroid nodules are benign.

That said, there are characteristics of thyroid nodules that make the nodule more suspicious for things like thyroid cancer. Dominant nodules that have calcifications do tend to be more suspicious.

So, of course, I say the "C" word and I very much know how scary that is, but thyroid cancer is highly treatable with an excellent prognosis. So if you do have to deal with it - and that's still a very big if - know that you (and the kiddos) will be just fine. :)

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Neoplastic, irregular calcified borders suggest cancer so a biopsy is imperative. I am sorry to hear this on your behalf but the good news is that the docs are "on it!" Better to know now then not at all.

As you read through the posts, you will find that we have many many thyroid cancer survivors and all are doing well. While it is a bump in the road albeit a nasty one, you are going to be ultimately fine.

Stay with us as there are many who can guide and support you through this process.

Let us know when your FNA is set up. And you might consider at this point getting a referral to an ENT.

Reactions: beckdawg408

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! In my research, I've learned that these things don't bode well, but I'm staying positive! I have an appt with an endo on May 12. I'll keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Good luck -- keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
You are going to be fine!!! Seriously! Not fun but you will make it w/bells on your toes.

Lean on us! That is what we are here for!

Hugs,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had my biopsy today...It was so easy...no pain at all...

My doctor said to expect results within a week. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I have a (painful) nodule too so I have read up on them, I know things I didn't ever want to know. But even non cancerous nodules can be calcified, so it doesn't have to be cancer at all. But I know they do tend to want to remove them when they're not absolutely sure it's not.
I hope you will be fine! I hope to read here soon that's everything is great. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts