Thyroid Disease Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,660 Posts
I'm fairly hairless as well. Not sure if it's a thyroid thing or not. I have zero armpit hair and very little leg hair.

·
Registered
673 Posts
OK so I'm not the only one but I think it's very different for men than women.

I guess it depends on whether you used to have hair in those areas.

But women usually shave those areas anyway so you get to save money on shaving supplies.

I have hair everywhere else a guy is supposed to have except male pattern baldness which is a thing in my Family.

Back in 2004 & 2005 I had very hairy legs. A lot more than my brothers.

I noticed the hair getting thinner around 2006 and figured it was from getting older.

Till one day after showering I looked down and most of the hair was gone on my lower legs.

It's been getting thinner ever since till now most of the hair is gone up to my privet area.

It could be alopecia since I have two confirmed autoimmune diseases but I would think it wouldn't be confined to just my legs.

If it didn't take so long to get an appointment with a dermatologist I'd have it checked out.

It doesn't really bother me much since I rarely wear shorts because my tan is gone entirely on my legs from vitiligo.

I also live in Pennsylvania where it's quite cold for half the year except today for some reason it's in the upper 60's.

We should have snow on the ground in January.

Global warming...………...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I still have all my hair somehow. Though my father who also is on Levo and many other things doesn't have leg hair and has not for awhile.

I think I would have to qualify how I feel now compared to before. 3 years before being diagnosed I had noticed I wasn't feeling like I used to. Lower energy, poor stools, colder than most folks, etc. Then in the few months before diagnosis I was in pretty rough shape. All kinds of weird things and anxiety.

Then after going on Levo I was a bit strange. Strange symptoms and eventually hyper symptoms. However, I believe my body wasn't ready for the medicine. I believe I had Iron issues and I was deficient in vitamin D. Iron issues, B12 issues, etc can cause your body to not handle the hormones correctly. I highly suggest getting your Iron levels checked...especially if losing hair.

After switching to Synthroid some things are better and some are equal to Levo. I feel like Synthroid feels "cleaner"...and my anxiety is much less. However, I still don't think it's completely working for me. It seems like some parts of my body are happy and other parts are not. My guess is my T3 is a bit low and some parts of my body want more.

All that being said I am probably feeling my best right now with the least symptoms. But then I'll go into a phase of feeling bad again for a day or town (like my levels decreased)...and then I'll feel OK again.

I do finally have some good stools. I'm not sure if that was from the diet change or from having better levels of thyroid. I know you guys didn't change your diet. But I would encourage eating a bit cleaner if possible. And less sugary foods. A lower amount of processed foods and more whole foods.

I'm still gluten, dairy, soy free. I don't know if it's completely necessary. I can say my antibody levels decrease dramatically right away. Whether that means anything or not, who knows. My latest reading was 117 whereas I was at 1980ish when diagnosed. I've read the large decrease is abnormal, but then again there are probably not a ton of studies on it.

I will say the diet thing does suck a bit and I probably wouldn't suggest it unless you are struggling. that's why I suggest just eating less processed foods. Maybe having them more as treats.

Exercise is extremely important. Even if it's walking 30 minutes a day.

Getting proper sleep also important.

What I worry about is not having enough T3. But still have not started on it because I don't trust my Endo for dosing. Everytime I ask her about T3 she ignores me...like I'll send her a study that talks to the importance of T3 and I get ignored. So I don't think she's too interested in it. This is my 5th doctor and I don't really feel like switching again.

All of that being said, the increasing dose of T4 is helping and maybe I'll stablize at some point. I've lost quite a few symptoms and I'd say I have the fewest right now.

I'm going to test again in a few days so it will be interesting to see where I am. I know I make Lovlkn crazy by not taking the T3...but it's just hard to find the right people to help with this in my area. One area I am worried about is my heart. Despite exercise and eating clean, I'm still not convinced my heart is in good shape. I did get it checked out quite a bit and everyone says it's OK.

My cholesterol is up a little which some people say is fine others not. I see it as a sign I probably don't have enough T3 getting into my cells.

It's such a strange issue and I really don't know who to trust on it. I don't trust conventional doctors and I don't trust functional doctors.

I did find a pretty good website that seems somewhat in-between: https://thyroidpatients.ca/

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Something to check out. I was reading up today on poor circulation...as my hands have been a bit red recently. Sometimes one hand and not the other. Probably not a great thing.

Anyways, it talked to this being a cause for losing leg hair and such. Probably a common thing for us having an underlying disease. And since you have a few autoimmune diseases, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't related.

So consider doing things that improve circulation. Exercise is listed as one thing. Yoga is another way. Warm baths supposedly. Keeping blood pressure lower...

It's a thought at least. I'm not sure what was going on with me. This morning in the shower, my left hand was reddish and my right was normal. Thyroid disease really blows sometimes.

They also mentioned eating more plants and less fattening meats. This is sometime I've been trying to do, but I really have a hard time getting vegetable meals going. Annoying. Not a huge fan of salads, but I'll have to just have them sometimes I guess. Need to make more vegetable stews and soups I guess. And kale smoothies.

·
Super Moderator
6,660 Posts
Maybe once you get your FT-3 in line with your FT-4 more of your symptoms will resolve??

My cholesterol is up a little which some people say is fine others not. I see it as a sign I probably don't have enough T3 getting into my cells.
I have found that my Cholesterol levels increase when my labs are not optimal - meaning they go hypo. I have labs to prove it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts