Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from west Texas. In January 2017, my new PCP found a large nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid - 7 cm at the time. Fast forward to today and it's now 9 cm and I'm scheduled for a total thyroidectomy in Dallas on August 24th. I've since been diagnosed with Hashimoto's (>500 IU) although my TSH is "normal". Hoping this is the reason I'm having so many symptoms - fatigue, weight gain, sore throat etc. I'm glad I found these boards - helpful information - thank you! Any pre/post-surgery advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Wow, that's a tremendously large nodule. I'm glad you are getting your thyroid removed.

Whatever you do, make sure they don't depend on TSH only to adjust your meds post op. Ask them to also test free t4 and free t3.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Reactions: Lovlkn

·
Super Moderator
6,660 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Advice pre op - expect to take it completely easy for at least 2-3 days. Sleep as much as you need. Have Tylenol on hand for when you come off the narcotic pain medications. Keep a cool pack on your incision to help with swelling ( and it feels so good too).

Everybody handles the anesthesia differently - you will likely have more issue with that them the thyroid removal. I always ask for a small breathing tube as after a D&C surgery I could not understand why my throat killed me so much. It was from the breathing tube and I have noticed alot of comments on this board about sore throat due to breathing tube,

Stay ahead of the pain for the first 36 hours - if they offer pain med's take them. You will likely be in patient but stay overnight in a room by yourself. Be sure to pack a toothbrush and anything else you may need for an overnight stay.

When will they be starting you on hormone replacement? Most doctors start replacement dose at 100mcg which is the proper dose for a 129 lb individual. If you weigh more than that you should ask for a higher dose. Manufacturer recommended dose is 1.7mcg per kilogram of weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses! I think the word one of the doctors used to describe my nodule was "ginormous". Not sure that's a medical term. :) I'm just glad it's finally time to have it taken out - I've been complaining about a sore throat and earache for years maybe this will finally give me an answer! I will be sure to ask for the free T3 and free T4 test. I will be in the hospital for 24-48 hours after surgery - they will start the replacement hormone the day after surgery. Good tips for the hospital stay - I've never been in the hospital except for 2 really easy deliveries, so this will be an experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
welcome redhen0205!

i also recenty joined this board, after an ultrasound discovered some nodules.

i recently had a total thyroidectomy (3 weeks ago now), you will find some of my posts in the surgery forum. there is some really good pre surgery post surgery advice from other members there .

hope it all goes well for you !! fingers crossed and keep us posted

kind regards

cascais

·
Registered
228 Posts
Welcome! I had large nodules and a cyst discovered last summer and had a total thyroidectomy within three months. As challenging as my post surgery hormone balance work has been, I can't say I've felt worse than I did before surgery. I didn't realize what I had learned to live with until the symptoms started to go away.

Give yourself time to heal. It took me two weeks before I was functioning but the post-op effects of anesthesia were pretty profound for me and I didn't truly feel better until five weeks later. I hate drugs and was able to recover on Advil. My throat hurt more from the breathing tube than anything else, and they gave me throat spray for that.

I could drive and turn my head better at just about two weeks. I actually pulled a stitch trying to turn my head driving too early (five days after surgery) that has made my scar look worse on one side.

Friends and family who brought me food to live on during that time are my heros to this day. I could rest and continue to eat well (and food cooked much better than anything I could make, lol). If you can put some meals together in advance it helps.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.