Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted as a newbie yesterday but thought I might get some help from this general forum while I am waiting for my blood results.
I am 65 yo female live in Australia. I take 75mg oroxine every morning. The last few weeks I have felt increasingly fatigued particularly by the time I get to the afternoon. Other symptoms are:
Feeling cold in my feet and hands even though it's not that cold
Aching legs and arms so painful.
Headaches
Foggy mind
Sleeping up to 10 hours a night
Constipation
Heart racing
I saw my doctor on Tuesday and she has asked for tests on thyroid hormones T3 T4 magnesium calcium also doing a test on my parathyroid.
Until I see her tomorrow I am taking paracetamol for my aches and pains but that's all.
Can an underactive become a parathyroid problem?
Anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You have all the symptoms of an undertreated hypothyroid condition. Your doctor MUST do Free T4 and Free T3. Those other tests are pretty useless from what I have learned. If she doesn't do the FT4 and FT3, then I bet she doesn't have a clue how to read them.

·
248 Posts
As far as I know - as someone who has had both - hypothyroid problems CANNOT become parathyroid problems. They are two separate things in the body and despite the parathyroid name it's not really influenced by the thyroid.

When I was in full blown hyperparathyrodism I had all sort of problems like pain in my lower legs that was devastating and a very high heart. While your thyroid does secrete a hormone called calcitonin it is not understood if a malfunctioning thyroid gland influences your parathyroid gland at this time. At this point if you had hyperparathyroidism you would be coming back with high/borderline high calcium levels most times with bouncing calcium levels. They can also do a blood test to measure your parathyroid test and if that comes back high then it's more then like a parathyroid problem. But having thyroid problems in no way means you have a parathyroid problem.

My hazard guess (and it is a guess) is that you're thyroid is not being controlled well enough. I do suffer from numbness in my hands at times with icy feet along with some awesome joint pain because my body keeps giving with this thyroid issue.

Let us know what the doctor says and get a copy of the test results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts