Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm Ray 32 year old male. A little history about my year.

Dec 31st I was taken to the ER. Scared my mom as she thought i was having a stroke. It was Bell's Palsy. In April I was having Bad headaches, and my blood pressure was high, and that it was most likely the cause. In May I had the stomach flu.

The end of July I notice a small lump in the throat and went to the Dr. I ended up having a ultra sound and the left lobe of the thyroid and two cysts that were 3mm and some calcification. The right lobe and a cystic structure that was around 2mm, and a nodule in the near the middle of the thyroid that was around 1.1cm. Had a FNA that was supposed to have been done this past Wed, but the radiologist couldn't find the nodule, and that the cysts were to small to do anything with.

had a follow with Dr. that made the FNA appt. and learned that one cysts is now 4mm, and that the other he said is a 5mm nodule. He didn't say anything about the other cyst, and said my blood work was normal.

Will update later.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,918 Posts
Hi Ray, and welcome!

Sounds like you're "on it" so to speak. Looks like you've got some stuff to keep an eye on, but too small to do anything about at this point, fortunately or unfortunately.

That Bell's Palsy is a little freaky - my husband has had it twice, but luckily it didn't last long, only a few days.

Keep us posted!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
Hello. I'm Ray 32 year old male. A little history about my year.

Dec 31st I was taken to the ER. Scared my mom as she thought i was having a stroke. It was Bell's Palsy. In April I was having Bad headaches, and my blood pressure was high, and that it was most likely the cause. In May I had the stomach flu.

The end of July I notice a small lump in the throat and went to the Dr. I ended up having a ultra sound and the left lobe of the thyroid and two cysts that were 3mm and some calcification. The right lobe and a cystic structure that was around 2mm, and a nodule in the near the middle of the thyroid that was around 1.1cm. Had a FNA that was supposed to have been done this past Wed, but the radiologist couldn't find the nodule, and that the cysts were to small to do anything with.

had a follow with Dr. that made the FNA appt. and learned that one cysts is now 4mm, and that the other he said is a 5mm nodule. He didn't say anything about the other cyst, and said my blood work was normal.

Will update later.


Hi, Ray!!

Wonder if you have any recent blood work you can share with us? If you do, please include the ranges as different labs use different ranges.

Calcification is not a good word so I hope you can get FNA.

Did anyone try to find out "why" you had Bell's Palsy? Like EBV, chicken pox...................anything like that? Mono?

Have you had any antibodies' tests done?

Glad you are here and we do have quite a few men. Due to the Labor Day Weekend, it will be slow around here. Just so you know.
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have some blood work done before the fna was supposed to be done on the nodule that couldn't be found. Do nodules usually disappear? I don't have the report, but I will see about getting the report and posting the numbers.

Octavia- I never even heard of Bell's Palsy until about a week before I had it. A couple of ladys at work had Bell's Palsy a couple week before me and that was the first time I heard about Bell's Palsy. Each one of us had different severity of Bell's and I was in the middle. It's quite a bit better, and every once and awhile you might be able to notice it.

Andros- I think they were thinking a virus or something, but they really didn't know why I had Bell's. I did have a minor ear ache, and infection a few days prior. I am not sure if I had antibodies' test done or not.

I would like to Enjoy my weight loss, but haven't been able to. Have lost 40 pounds since April.

Thanks for the Welcome.
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was going from memory earlier on the first ultra sound, but have the copy infront of me. Still haven't got a copy of the labs yet.

The right lobe of the thyroid measures 4.69x2.10x2.20cm. Two areas in the inferior portion that are completely cystic with some areas of calcification, one measuring 3.8x3.5x3.8mm The second measures 3.1x2.4x2.0mm. In the midportion, there is a solid nodule measuring 9.8x11.2x10.4mm. No vascular flow is seen in these areas. The left lobe, 4.17x1.41x1.74cm and one cystic structure seen, 2.7x1.8x3.0mm. Normal vascular flow through the lobes bilaterally.

Impression: Multiple cysts as well as occasional calcifications in a generous-sized thyroid.

Had my lobes mixed up earlier just wanted to get the post correct.
Next appt is Oct.18
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
was going from memory earlier on the first ultra sound, but have the copy infront of me. Still haven't got a copy of the labs yet.

The right lobe of the thyroid measures 4.69x2.10x2.20cm. Two areas in the inferior portion that are completely cystic with some areas of calcification, one measuring 3.8x3.5x3.8mm The second measures 3.1x2.4x2.0mm. In the midportion, there is a solid nodule measuring 9.8x11.2x10.4mm. No vascular flow is seen in these areas. The left lobe, 4.17x1.41x1.74cm and one cystic structure seen, 2.7x1.8x3.0mm. Normal vascular flow through the lobes bilaterally.

Impression: Multiple cysts as well as occasional calcifications in a generous-sized thyroid.

Had my lobes mixed up earlier just wanted to get the post correct.
Next appt is Oct.18
Calcified and solid are two words that may suggest ablation.

Who do you have appt. with Oct. 18? Has your doctor commented on your ultra-sound yet?
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My appt. the 18th is with my GP. He has seen the ultra when the FNA was attempted, and says he could have misread the first ultra sound. The nodule couldn't be found on it but the other three areas were, and the two are a tad bit bigger. Coldness and shakyness has started to come back the last couple of days. I'm not that smart but what is ablation?. THanks for your response
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ablation was a new word for me. Never heard it before but I Google it, and my Gut feeling is thats what likely going to happen.

Had an off day today. My voice is on the hoarse side today, and I can't decided if I want to be on the cold side or hot. Seem to be sore through my shoulders and collarbones, and my fingers are a little tingly in my hand. Hope to not get nausea this time around.
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a copy of my labs and ultra sound sent in the mail to me.

Labs:
Calcium 9.1 (8.5-10.5)
TSH 1.84 (.34-4.82)
FreeT4 .85 (.59-1.17)

Ultra Sound:

The right lobe of the thyroid measures 5.7x1.9x1.8cm. There are a couple of 3 and 4mm cysts on right lobe. The left lobe measures 4.6x1.3x1.8cm. there is a 3mm cysts of the left lobe. The isthmus is unremarkable. There are no masses immediately adjacent to the thyroid gland.

Ultrasound of the anterior midline of the neck demonstrates a small 5mm nodule in the subdermal region. This may be a sebaceous cyst or small lymph node.

Didn't have any detail on the cysts as the first ultra sound, just notes that they are there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
My appt. the 18th is with my GP. He has seen the ultra when the FNA was attempted, and says he could have misread the first ultra sound. The nodule couldn't be found on it but the other three areas were, and the two are a tad bit bigger. Coldness and shakyness has started to come back the last couple of days. I'm not that smart but what is ablation?. THanks for your response
Sorry about that. Ablation is surgical removal. Okay.............let's see what the GP has to say. Hope he or she refers you to an ENT for further evaluation.
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope he does. If not I will find one. There happens to be an ENT office right next to his building, I didn't notice what it was at first until I finally read the sign.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
Hope he does. If not I will find one. There happens to be an ENT office right next to his building, I didn't notice what it was at first until I finally read the sign.
That will be convenient for you and I hope that you do see an ENT; there is nothing like a second opinion and also the voice of experience.

You really are symptomatic. Even though for some, those numbers would look good, I can't help but feel that you have some serious antibodies going on that are skewing your numbers.

There are binding, blocking and stimulating antibodies that attack the receptor sites.

When playing the waiting game, 10/18 seems a long way away. Could you get on a cancellation list?
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if I'll be able to get on cancellation list I'll try, if not I'll be waiting a month, but if I end up feeling bad again I'll just see about scheduling an appt. earlier. If he doesn't refer to an ENT I'll just go and make an appt.
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After wishing my Mom a happy Birthday today, she could tell I was feeling that great, and while I was at work I get a call from the Dr. Office, and I can move my appointment up from the 18th since I was feeling bad. Looks like I will be making a call tomorrow sometime, and hopefully I can get in soon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
After wishing my Mom a happy Birthday today, she could tell I was feeling that great, and while I was at work I get a call from the Dr. Office, and I can move my appointment up from the 18th since I was feeling bad. Looks like I will be making a call tomorrow sometime, and hopefully I can get in soon.
I certainly hope so. The sooner, the better. Do let us know. You are in our thoughts and prayers for all of this.

 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll keep you updated. I've been hit with everything today just about. Neck pain, some shoulder pain, and collarbone pain, and inbetween the collarbone. Stuff I had going on earlier in the year is also reared its head with my side and back aches. I've been mainly cold at work, and I'm the only one that is cold, except now that i'm on lunch it feels like someone has turned the oven on. Thanks for your thought and prayers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
I'll keep you updated. I've been hit with everything today just about. Neck pain, some shoulder pain, and collarbone pain, and inbetween the collarbone. Stuff I had going on earlier in the year is also reared its head with my side and back aches. I've been mainly cold at work, and I'm the only one that is cold, except now that i'm on lunch it feels like someone has turned the oven on. Thanks for your thought and prayers
Keeping fingers crossed for you; let us know when you are able.
 

·
Veteran Member
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll be keeping updates. Hope to know something this morning. I know the Dr. Office will be called while I'm at work this morning. Keeping fingers crossed
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
I'll keep you updated. I've been hit with everything today just about. Neck pain, some shoulder pain, and collarbone pain, and inbetween the collarbone. Stuff I had going on earlier in the year is also reared its head with my side and back aches. I've been mainly cold at work, and I'm the only one that is cold, except now that i'm on lunch it feels like someone has turned the oven on. Thanks for your thought and prayers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
jrohrigj said:
I'll be keeping updates. Hope to know something this morning. I know the Dr. Office will be called while I'm at work this morning. Keeping fingers crossed
 
1 - 20 of 205 Posts
Top