Thyroid Disease Forum banner

Newbie and Scared

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Octavia 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Ronda and in 2008 I had part of the right side of my thyroid removed due to a single nodule that turned out to be benign. This past October (2012) I had an ultrasound of my neck because it appeared to be enlarging again and was found to have multiple bilateral thyroid nodules. The largest nodule on the right measured 1.4x1.4cm and the largest nodule on the left measured 1.9x1.7cm. The multiplicity of nodules suggested adenomatous nodules but because of the size they were biopsied and found to be benign.

Skipping forward 8 months I had a follow-up ultrasound that now shows there has been interval increase in size of 2 nodules in the inferior pole of the left thyroid lobe. One has increased from 1.9 x 1.7cm to 2.6 x 2.7cm and the other has increased from 1.4 x 1.0 cm to 2.0 x 1.5 cm. The nodules on the right side are stable. Is this concerning for thyroid cancer? What next steps are warranted. Should I have it biopsied or just removed?

Thanks for your time :)

#2 ·
Hello, and welcome!

It seems to me that another biopsy is warranted. Keep in mind that biopsies are only a sample of tissue, though, and may not tell the whole story. I think you are right to be concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.