Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Dena. I'm new to the board, but have found a lot of good information. I have a large nodule on my right thyroid. When they did the biopsy a year ago it was benign, but I'm very short of breath and having problems swallowing. They discovered that my throid drops below the clavicle bone and it's pushing my trachea over to the side, which is causing the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this condition or the surgery to fix it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Yes, and yes. Many of us here have had similar issues and had the surgery, which it sounds like you need to strongly consider. Have you met with an ENT?

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
dgwarfield said:
Hi, my name is Dena. I'm new to the board, but have found a lot of good information. I have a large nodule on my right thyroid. When they did the biopsy a year ago it was benign, but I'm very short of breath and having problems swallowing. They discovered that my throid drops below the clavicle bone and it's pushing my trachea over to the side, which is causing the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this condition or the surgery to fix it? Thanks
So glad you have joined us, Dena!!! I did not have the surgery but many here have and I am sure they will rally 'round.

It is sort of scary when you cannot breathe. So yes; get it out! Have you been on thyroxine replacement?

·
93 Posts
Hi Dena. My condition sounds very similar to yours but I have multiple nodules. I get a little shortness of breath and feel like something's stuck in my throat. My doctors are recommending surgery but I haven't had it yet.

·
42 Posts
I had a multi nodular goiter that had 15 nodules (all benign). The largest nodule was the size of a huge plum. The goiter was substernal and grew past my clavicle. I could not breathe and, as a result, was on a CPAP machine.

I had the TT on 8/7. It was the best thing I ever did. I can breathe and no longer need CPAP. I can raise my hands over my head and my airway isn't cut off.

It took me two years to have this surgery. My surgeon called me the "Runaway Patient" (I scheduled and cancelled the surgery numerous times over the years).

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My surgery went very well. The nodule was growing around behind my trachea, which accounted for my shortness of breath. I'm feeling good. I can breath and swallow. I can move around without breaking out into cold sweats. I'm still waiting for the pathology to see if I need surgery again this week. The doctor seemed pretty confident that it was benign so I'm not worried about going back in. I'm so glad it's over with. He only took the right lobe so I won't need to take the medicine, which is good.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Glad you are doing well.

Just stay very self-aware for hypo symptoms. Many who have a lobe left still need to supplement with medication.

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
dgwarfield said:
My surgery went very well. The nodule was growing around behind my trachea, which accounted for my shortness of breath. I'm feeling good. I can breath and swallow. I can move around without breaking out into cold sweats. I'm still waiting for the pathology to see if I need surgery again this week. The doctor seemed pretty confident that it was benign so I'm not worried about going back in. I'm so glad it's over with. He only took the right lobe so I won't need to take the medicine, which is good.
What a relief!! You must feel great now that you can breathe!!! Now you just take it easy and follow doctor's orders.

I hope it is benign also!!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you have all for you wishes. I have my post-op appointment this Thursday, but I
have not received a call from the surgeon so I'm assuming it's good news. I can tell my
thyroid is starting to work better, but I'm assuming it will need a little help. I took
Kelp, Selenium, and L-Tyrisine before surgery and plan to go back to that regmine for
a boost. I quit taking it for 2 weeks before surgery and my energy level dropped substantially. Are there any other things that will help my thyroid function properly if the doctors don't put me on medication? Thanks for all your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.