Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Dr. at the beginning of June because I was tired all the time, joints hurt, ect... I had cancer back in 2014. I am 50 years old. She told me what I expected after labs. I am in Menopause. I can't take estrogen due to my prior cancer and I wanted to know if I could take Proactive to help. ( answer was yes ) She had also ran a Thyroid screen and I got a call about a week later that my TSH was off and she wanted a Thyroid uptake scan. After my insurance fought a bit they finally gave in. I got that done last Thursday and I got my results today. I have Graves disease. I had to go in for another blood draw this morning and I picked up copies of my lab results. I am totally not understanding the results and hoping you can help. I do go back to my Dr. on Wednesday the 14th but I would just like to know where I stand now with my levels. This is what my report says I am out of range on:
MCH (low) 26.1 Pg Normal is 26.6-33
Creatinine (low) 0.51 mg/dl normal is 0.57-1.00
Albumin (low) 3. g/dl Normal is 3.8-4.8
Alkaline phosphatese (high) 140 iu/l normal is 48-121
TSH (low) <0.005 uiu/ml Normal is 0.450 - 4.500
T4, Free direct (high) 2.28 ng/dl normal is 0.8- 1.77
T3 Free (high) 7.4 pg/ml normal is 2.0 -4.4
Thyroid Perozidase (TPO) (high) 225 iu/ml Normal is 0- 34
Thyroglobulin Antibody (high) 218 iu/ml Normal is 0.0 - 0.9

Nurse who told me said I am Hyperthyriod. I have NOT lost weight but I have gained 15 pounds in about 3-4 months...it just crept up like a pound or two at a time and I couldn't stop it... hence I thought menopause... I am tired, my joints ache, cranky, brain fog/ forgetful, so far my hair is okay but it is starting to dry out no matter what I do to condition it.

Help if you can please

·
Super Moderator
6,660 Posts
I went to the Dr. at the beginning of June because I was tired all the time, joints hurt, ect... I had cancer back in 2014. I am 50 years old. She told me what I expected after labs. I am in Menopause. I can't take estrogen due to my prior cancer and I wanted to know if I could take Proactive to help. ( answer was yes ) She had also ran a Thyroid screen and I got a call about a week later that my TSH was off and she wanted a Thyroid uptake scan. After my insurance fought a bit they finally gave in. I got that done last Thursday and I got my results today. I have Graves disease. I had to go in for another blood draw this morning and I picked up copies of my lab results. I am totally not understanding the results and hoping you can help. I do go back to my Dr. on Wednesday the 14th but I would just like to know where I stand now with my levels. This is what my report says I am out of range on:
MCH (low) 26.1 Pg Normal is 26.6-33
Creatinine (low) 0.51 mg/dl normal is 0.57-1.00
Albumin (low) 3. g/dl Normal is 3.8-4.8
Alkaline phosphatese (high) 140 iu/l normal is 48-121
Thyroglobulin Antibody (high) 218 iu/ml Normal is 0.0 - 0.9

Nurse who told me said I am Hyperthyriod. I have NOT lost weight but I have gained 15 pounds in about 3-4 months...it just crept up like a pound or two at a time and I couldn't stop it... hence I thought menopause... I am tired, my joints ache, cranky, brain fog/ forgetful, so far my hair is okay but it is starting to dry out no matter what I do to condition it.

Help if you can please
Hello and welcome!
"
Thyroglobulin Antibody (high) 218 iu/ml Normal is 0.0 - 0.9 "
Your TSH T4 Free and T3 Free all point to your being hyperthyroid. Its interesting that your doc didn't run a TSI antibody which would help confirm the Graves diagnosis.
This quote taken from Lab Tests Online "Thyroglobulin is produced in all healthy individuals, and normally its level in blood is low. Thyroglobulin levels increase in both benign (Graves disease, subacute thyroiditis, Hashimoto thyroiditis) and thyroid cancer. Therefore, it is on one hand a non-specific indicator of a thyroid dysfunction and, on the other hand, a tumor marker that can be used to monitor patients with thyroid papillary and follicular cancer after diagnosis "

As you can see from reading above - more tests need to be done - specifically ultrasound and possible Fine needle aspiration if nodules are found to rule out cancer. TPO can be a Hypo or Hyper hormone and basically shows thyroid inflammation.

As far as the Uptake they did on you - that's basically to see how much radiation they need to give you if you opt for RAI ablation of your thyroid. I highly persuade you - if you choose to do a "permanent" kill off of your thyroid to have surgery instead as RAI can exacerbate thyroid eye disease and also RAI often takes several doses to completely stop thyroid function.

It's customary to do a trial of anti thyroid medications to get your lab levels more in range. Those meds would be Tapazole or PTU. If you react well to anti thyroid meds there is no need to rush surgery or RAI. I was on ATD's for over 4 years before deciding to have a total thyroid removal.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Before over reacting to the thyroid tests look through your supplements and see if you are taking Biotin (AKA B7 AKA Vitamin H). Many people have been wrongly diagonsed with hyperthyroidism because they took this supplement before their thyroid tests. You need to be off of Biotin for 3-5 days before the test or it very well can affect those tests.

·
Registered
333 Posts
However, the TPO and TG results would indicate hashimotos at the least. And I don't believe those are impacted by Biotin. If you are taking high doses of Biotin, just get tests re-taken after holding off on those supplements for 3-5 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts