Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Thyroid issues for the better part of 30 years, usually controlled by Synthroid then I switched to a compound for about 2 years; until March 5, 2016 when my world was turned upside down. I was receiving a compounded thyroid mix of Levothyroxine and ?? can't remember right now. Anyway, I received my prescription on 3/5/16 (Sat)- since I was out and it was still early I took one capsule; 3/6/16 (Sun) - got up early for church took my prescription, felt like maybe I was getting the flu came home and rested; 3/7/16 (Mon) - took prescription (as I always do as soon as I get up) started for work and felt very dizzy and a bit disoriented, called in sick and went back to bed. At 1:30 in the afternoon, I got a call, text, and email from the pharmacy CALL IMMEDIATELY AND STOP TAKING MEDICATION! When I called they asked how much I took and how I felt, then sent me immediately to the ER. ER gave me some fluid and sent me home. 3/8/16 My husband took me back to the ER with vomiting and diarrhea, 104 temp, 138 heart rate at rest. I spent the next two weeks in the hospital where I experienced a full blown Thyroid Storm...I don't remember a thing. I'm told that I behaved rather oddly and was babbling at one point, then silence for two days. I ruined a heart monitor because I was on fire and threw it in the sink and turned the water on it! (I was NOT on Fire) and this is just one of Many examples. When I got home from the hospital, I was on Heavy Heart meds with other blockers. Anyway, it has been a long road back.

FAST Forward 6 months: After blood work every 30 days, I am leveling out pretty good. My residual issues are what are bothering me now because they all seem to be mental. I still experience anxiety issues. I do not want to be alone and while I can drive, I won't drive long distances and never by myself, I have to have a dog with me at all times. Before the "storm" I could travel any where, any time and nothing bothered me. I could make rational decisions and have a professional career. Now, not so much. I could remember everything and was able to plan my day, week, month and Remember. I am working but I feel like I'm 'floundering'. Anyway, if someone has experienced an overdose (my script was filled as Milligrams, not Micrograms - I took 111 mcg, so I took 333,000 mcg of Levothyroxine: 111 X 3 = 333 X 1000 right?) I would love to hear from you. I would like to know what to expect. I'm already much better, but not there yet.

What can I expect going forward??? Will I get back to my Normal???

Dazed and Confused...

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Hello and welcome. I'm sorry I don't have any relevant experience to share, but wow. Just wow.

How did the pharmacist discover the error?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really sure how they discovered, but glad they did! Probably in a count on Monday when they realized the error. The issue that I am having is that not many survive a thyroid storm but mostly no one so far has survived the amount that I took... but I just can't wrap my head around that. Surely someone has survived and is thriving and doing well. Is there a "Surviving a Storm" forum that you could recommend? I saw that there is surviving cancer and surgery.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
We've had a handful of people here over the past few years who have experienced a thyroid storm. Scary stuff, for sure!

Are you currently seeing a therapist to help you process and (hopefully) move past what happened? I think that would help a lot. I think you will indeed get back to normal, but you may need a little help to get there.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Do you have any labs with ranges that you could share?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have my psych evaluation tomorrow. Looking forward to that, but a doctor friend suggested I check blogs and forums. So, here I am!

We are communicating with the Pharmacy's insurance company directly. They have agreed to pay for medical expenses. In the state of Texas you can only sue a healthcare provider (includes pharmacies) for $250,000 - this includes medical expenses.

I will try to pull my labs out and post for you. In the middle of the storm - the T4 would only register >6.06, after 33 days it was down to 4.85, then it dropped to below normal range. A feeling I'm a little more accustomed too!

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
I'm glad you're getting a psych eval. But please keep something in mind: psychiatrists are good at prescribing drugs; sometimes people legitimately need them, sometimes they don't. Psychologists, on the other hand, don't prescribe drugs, but they help you mentally process situations, talk about how a situation is impacting you, how to approach solutions, etc. What are your thoughts about the difference and which might be more helpful for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Psych eval went well, no results until next week. Just the preliminary test were given to determine if/how much damage there may be to the brain.

alas, he has never treated someone who has survived a TStorm...sigh.

To answer your question, I don't like to take any drugs other than those that keep my motor running. I don't like the psych drugs as they 'dull' me too much. I believe that talking out and processing the information would be a good start for me. So, I'm ok with the Psychologist. :)

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
How are you feeling?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts