Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this site and to Hashimoto's.

I have recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's (June) and after being put on Levothyrozine at the beginning of August, 6 weeks out I started getting between 0 and 2 hours of sleep no matter what I did, or what I took, whereas before I was sleeping a lot. I stopped taking the Levo because it scared me.

I have now been 3 months out, and only getting between 2 to 4 hours of sleep if I am lucky.... my sleep is shallow and I hear EVERYTHING. I'm driving myself crazy and my roommates, because I can hear everything they do in the morning while I am sort of sleeping, and there is nothing that I have tried taking, that actually knocks me out. My body seems to override everything.

I was then put on Nature Throid, and sleep was no better, although I was on only 1 - 25mcg pill for a while. I since stopped the Nature Throid because on it I wasn't sleeping any better, and I didn't want to up the dosage because I was afraid I'd go back to 0 sleep going into Christmas.

I have just seen my 1st Endo, who is very compassionate, thorough, and willing to work with me on taking whatever Thyroid medication etc. I feel most comfortable with. I see her tomorrow, so will get all blood testing results, and ultra sound results.

I am wondering. Will I ever sleep well again! I am desperate. I can handle all of the bajillion other symptoms I am having due to Hashi's, but I Cannot deal with this no sleep thing! Is there any hope for better sleep if I can get properly medicated or am I stuck like this now?

Many tears have been shed over the past several months, and I am feeling hopeless. I can handle tons of physical pain, but the one thing in life I cannot deal with is NO sleep. It sucks not being able to make solid plans with anyone anymore, because I never know if I am going to be rested enough to go. I feel like my life has been put on hold it seems and it's ruining my life..... I want my life back.

Any suggestions on sleep would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading, if you made it this far.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I very much understand what you are going through. My first attempt on synthroid lasted four days. My husband said it was like living with a meth addict because sleep was just not happening. So I stayed up all night cleaning.

Can you share your complete labs results with reference ranges? Did they test antibodies? Have you had a thyroid ultrasound?

Reactions: Tink22

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Do you have any recent lab results with ranges you could share?

I have not slept well since being diagnosed with thyroid disease.

Reactions: Tink22

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are my test results as of 2 weeks ago, and at 2 weeks off thyroid meds.

Free T4 by Dialysis/mass spec is .075 -

Ref. Range 0.8 - 1.7

Thyroxine (T4) Free Direct, S is 1.03 -

Ref. Range 0.82 - 1.77

TSH is 9.430 -

Ref. Range 0.450 - 4.500

Free T3 is 3.6 -

Ref. Range 2.0 - 4.4

R-T3 is 19.1 -

Ref. Range 9.2 - 24.1

TgAb + Thyroglobulin, IMA or RIA is <1.0 -

Ref. Range 0.0 - 0.9

Thyroglobulin by IMA is 88.8 -

Ref. Range 1.5 - 38.5

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab is 42 -

Ref. Range - 34

Ferritin, Serum is 1.18 -

Ref. Range 1.17 - 1.32

Cortisol is 3.8 -

Ref. Range Am. 6.2 - -19.4

Ref. Range Pm. 2.3 - 11.9

Thyroid Ultrasound is normal. No Goiter, no Nodules etc.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The lack of sleep is from "anxiety" caused by the frustration that comes with the treatment of the disease....
Hormone "therapy".... is a long process trying to reproduce the feedback loop that your pituitary & thyroid gland once had....
Slowly increasing the hormone over a long period copies the process......
But everyone wants that quick cure.....
You need to be patient with this type of treatment....
It can take years to get close to where you used to feel.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Probably going to need to go on some meds. What dosages where they giving you?

What's a little interesting is your free T3 was pretty high. Maybe from the Naturethroid

Get your vitamin D checked.

Magnesium is supposed to help with sleep and anxiety. Maybe that is deficient also? Pumpkin seeds, avocados...

I went through a timeframe of insomnia also. Make sure you are getting good nutrition and enough calories.

Keep working on it and hopefully things will come back in line. probably going to need to be on something, but it would be interesting to see what dosages you were getting.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
How recent was the ultrasound? Definitely push to get your TSI tested.

Reactions: Lovlkn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was originally started out on 25mcg of Levothyrixine... at 6 weeks was when I started getting zero sleep, and nothing, and I mean nothing helped. It wasn't anxiety, the medication pushed me into hyper symptoms I think. Then switched to 25mcg I guess, of Naturthroid and was kind of sleeping maybe 4 hours.

My Vit. D is slightly low, but that is not a shocker given I live in Seattle. I am taking Vit. D. supplement now. All other vitamin and mineral tests are fine. I do take a Cal/Mag/Potassium supplement every night. At the height of the no sleeping at all, nothing helped. I am now sleeping kind of okay at 3 months out from the Levo, and not taking anything for my thyroid.

My Ultrasound was done 2 weeks ago. What is TSI? I may have already had that tested.

Thank you for responding everyone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's a very small amount of medicine (which is normally what they start you out at). Start slowly and wait until the TSH is in range (typical doctor strategy). In my situation my TSH was much higher, and they started me out at 100 levo. Which appeared to be just a little bit too much as I am on 94 now (but my TSH is still a little high at 3.6)

If your situation is where your thyroid isn't too damaged (seems that way to me based on your labs, but I can't say I'm an expert), you could get away with dietary changes and getting good nutrition. Selenium intake should be 200-400 (either a 200 supplement or a brazil nut or two). A good multivitamin should be considered. Vitamin D3 4000-5000 until that level goes up around 50ish.

I wouldn't say you have to do the dietary changes, but that did seem to help for me and many others. But be aware it's very hard to do and shouldn't be done without thinking it out well. For instance, at first I wasn't getting enough calories and that made things not work well. On a strict diet it can be hard to get actual calories. I do a lot of gluten free organic oatmeal, granola...and I seem to do well with rice products. But some people go grain free. I would have a hard time with that as calories would be tough.

At the least eating whole foods and less processed foods would be a good idea. Cutting out sugary drinks etc.

I do no dairy, gluten, soy, corn, processed sugars (little as possible), corn syrups, and anything that makes me gassy like onions and beans (those are personal to me). This has given me much better stools and seems to have calmed down the autoimmunity. I didn't have good stools for about 2 years before this. Could be the thyroid meds working or could be the dietary changes.

I also limit caffeine and alcohol (no fun I know).

Either way, it's seemed to help me and I think some sort of trial timeframe may be worth a try for something like that. Give it a few weeks and see how you feel. Especially since you seem to be a bit desperate. I know I had a period of bad sleep like that and it was no fun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
exercise is also an important aspect (though I didn't get any today). And I know sometimes it was pretty hard for me to exercise at first with no energy. At first I just took some walks at work.

And cut out stress as much as possible. I believe stress was my main issue which really strengthened my hashimotos.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

And thank you for the info on what TSI means. :)

I had gone entirely gluten free for a few months, which was going just fine, but with the holidays it's been hard though, but plan to do so full on again after the 1st of the year.

I am also planning on rejoining my gym, and starting out slow. I am supposed to try Armour after the 1st, but am

reluctant, now that I am finally getting a decent night of sleep....I dunno. I guess I'll decide after the 1st whether I

want to just do the diet and exercise, or add the Armour in. I am just scared I'm going to get kicked back into the

zero sleep thing again if I try the Armour...... which was an absolute nightmare for about 3 months.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's a tough one. Your numbers are very different from mine. But I'm on a T4 only medication.

I think focusing on nutrition might help. Maybe get further Iron studies done. Your ferritin is at bottom of range. But you'd want to get the other Iron tests to see how those look. Important nutrients for thyroid are Iron (don't supplement iron unless doctor says so, just eat iron rich foods), Zinc, Magnesium, B12, Vitamin C, Iodine (don't supplement this without caution cause it can make things worse), selenium (this is an important one).

TSH is supposed to take 6 weeks to adjust.

Your free T3 was pretty high and I think that's about where it's wanted. But FT4 was low. I have the opposite issue. I've heard that Armour has more T3 than humans usually make themselves. Some people like to do a T4 medication like Synthroid (levothyroxine) and pair it with a small amount of T3 medication (cytomel) so they can control the T3 dosage better. Something to talk to your doctor about.

With all the bouncing around, I'm sure your body is confused...so it may take some time to get things calmed down and settled. Stick with it. Look into all the things that help with sleep (no caffine, cell phone before bed, etc)...but I know what you are going through because I had a similar time frame. At that time I was on too little medication, but it can happen with too much also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you GOLGO13,

I appreciate it. I have been doing a really good multivitamin and am taking Selenium, and plan to continue with eating gluten free etc. Iron levels all check out within normal range. I need to add in a B12 and Vitamin C after the 1st of the year. I'll talk to doctor about T4 and T3 medications to see what she says. And I do a pretty good sleep hygiene regimen that seems to be helping. It just stinks that it seems this is going to take quite a bit of time to get it all figured out and leveled so that I am feeling well and reliably functional.

Creeping Death,

I can't take Benzodiazapines, they make me sick. I had a very bad reaction ie. paradoxical reaction to Ativan and ended up with 18 months of protracted withdrawals... will never touch the stuff again. And I can't stand the feel/high nor smell of Pot. As I said, I am not having Anxiety induced insomnia, and very rarely am I having anxiety/panic attacks. And when I am having Thyroid inducted insomnia, absolutely nothing helps with sleep sadly. Thank you for the suggestions however.

·
Registered
671 Posts
alcohol...&#8230;?

i haven;t drank since 1993 but when i did i slept...&#8230;

if I take prescribed diazepam I sleep but wake up kinda hungover....

weed will knock me out but smoking is no good for the lungs.....

when I can't sleep the house is real clean...&#8230;..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, not going to start a drinking habit just to sleep. I don't really care for the taste of alcohol. I probably drink perhaps 1 drink twice a year.

I'll just have to suck it up, and keep doing what I have been doing when the no sleeps come, and hope this all gets sorted sooner rather than later.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Tink22

What were your initial thyroid hormone results?

Talking about med's and med changes without lab results it's impossible to make an intelligent comment.

Vit D, B-12 and Ferritin all need to be in 3/4 range for optimal results when adding thyroid hormone

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are my 1st test results prior to any medication.

T4, Free 1.20 - Range 0.8 - 1.8

TSH W/reflex to FT4 7.58 - Range > or = 20 years 0.40 - 4.50

TPO 19.00 Range <9

The below, came in a week later. Still before any medication.

Thyroxine Free (T4, Free) 1.10 Range 0.8 - 1.8

TSH 3.42 Range > or = 20 years 0.40 - 4.50

I did not know at the time what test to ask for, so this is all I have as far as Thyroid testing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts