Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a connection between ovarian cancer and hyperthyroidism. I just found this out - went for a uterine biopsy today. All females need to know this - I did not know until today. I will send links.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
The connection I found when I searched it was that an ovarian tumor can cause hyperthyroid.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0815/p623.html
TUMORS

Rare causes of hyperthyroidism include metastatic thyroid cancer, ovarian tumors that produce thyroid hormone (struma ovarii), trophoblastic tumors that produce human chorionic gonadotrophin and activate highly sensitive TSH receptors, and TSH-secreting pituitary tumors.5
5. Fitzgerald PA. Endocrinology. In: Tierny LM, McPhee SJ, Papadakis MA, eds. Current medical diagnosis and treatment. 44th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005:1102-10.

Here is a link that supports the hyperthyroidism link to ovarian cancers.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/hormonepregnantmenopause1/l/aa033100a.htm

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long story,
I went through what I thought was menopause in 2005. In 2010, started bleeding. Ultrasound indicated enlarged endometrium, but no worry. They said it was from stress. Bleeding again this year 2013, ultrasound indicated a mass on left ovary and super enlarged uterus. Doc says the growth on my left ovary is generated from thyroid - sending signals to my uterus to grow endometrium. Women need to know this. Endometrium can grow cancer cells as well as babies.
Had a uterine biopsy last week - no results yet. I will let u all know. Also, blood work scheduled tomorrow...CBC w/Diff, FSH, CA 125.
So not just ovarian cancer, but uterine cancer as well needs to be investigated.
My reproductive organs have never worked right - since puberty...irregular periods, crazy periods, no periods, unable to conceive, weird menopausal stuff. In my 20s - I was investigated for a pituitary tumor affecting my eyesight. I am wondering if this all has been related to my thyroid malfunction. The science was just not there 30 years ago.
My family has history with thyroid issues since 1900.

If I were younger - I would be interested in med school to investigate this issue. However, I am looking forward to retiring soon from federal service. I am currently a federal employee unemployed due to the shutdown. Thank GOD my health insurance is still working through this.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found out yesterday - My endrometrial biopsy is positive for cancer. My sister is a nurse. We are wondering if this all is related to my thyroid for many years. I am thinking all women with thyroid issues MUST get checked for ovarian/uterine/endometrial issues asap.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
:( Oh no...I'm so sorry.

This is good information to have...

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Thyroid peeps,

Females MUST check out Endometrium as well. I just got a positive for endometrial cancer from my biopsy on 10/8/2013. Facing Hysterectomy next week.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer on 10/15/2013. Maybe thyroid/ovarian involvement, but they will not know until the surgery.

I hooked up with the Cancer blog - please check this out.

All females with Thyroid issues MUST get there reproductive organs checked for cancer!

·
Registered
29 Posts
StaceyK111,

So sorry to hear you have cancer. I notice this is an older post. How are you doing now?

I just had my pap, results fine. But my doc said that current recommendations say women need to get a pap only once every three years now. With this new information, I am thinking, with the thyroid condition, women should be more proactive and continue to get a pap every year.

I thought I was thru menopause as well, but when I started the Synthoid, I've had spotting and even a full blown period. And cramping like when I was a teenager.

I hope you are doing better.

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
Absolutely because there is such a thing as ectopic thyroid tissue which can be cancerous. This tissue behaves in the same manner as endometriosis. It attaches to bodily organs such as the ovaries, gall bladder, lungs, heart.............you name it.

And yes; Cancer and hyper often go hand in hand. Especially cancer of the thyroid.

Many hugs to you!

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
Oh, dear! The only good news right now is that you and the docs are "on it!" LHM!! Saying prayers for you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts