Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am 25 years old and had Papillary carcinoma a year ago. I already got my thyroid removed and was submitted to the Radioactive iodine treatment. OK... I was reading some websites and this post caught my attention http://thyroglobulintg.com/2015/09/21/papillary-thyroid-carcinome-cancer/

The post caught my attention because I have a son and he is 4 years old. Last week he fell when he was playing and hurt his shoulder.... Anyways, I took him to the hospital and they ran a couple of x-ray tests on him.

The post on the website above and in other websites states that radiation can be very dangerous, specially to children. Should I be worried about my son's thyroid health? When should I start keeping track of his thyroid health?

Since now, thank you very much for reading this and maybe answering my questions.

·
Super Moderator
6,657 Posts
They should have put a thyroid shield on him when they performed the x-ray.

When you had your RAi, how long did you stay away from him?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I can't get to the web site -- my computer is telling me it is a high-risk web site.

My guess is that it is discussing the correlation between radiation and thyroid cancer? We are all able to tolerate small doses of radiation with little consequence. However, it used to be that we were not as conscientious of what minimum safe levels of exposure is. For example, when I was growing up, everyone went to this one shoe store in town. To get fitted for shoes, they would take an x-ray. Right there in the store. No safety precautions, no lead aprons, no radiation techs. And we'd get scanned a couple of times a year. That is not safe.

But shooting a couple of x-rays to determine if there is a break? Pretty normal and assuming they used the lead apron and thyroid guard, it's not that big of a deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.