Thyroid Disease Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
555 Posts
Same goes for RAI and TT it's all a big bandaid for what's really causing graves doesn't take it away so what's the point the only thing that i can even come up with between 2008 when my levels were normal to 2011 is a flu vaccine I was forced on by my boss and because it causes antibodies in your system is this possibly antibodies that could trigger graves I can't think of any infection or virus that I had during that time frame:/ other than the flu vaccine anyone wondering what the cause is ??

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
Alot of factors can cause Thyroid issues - if you do a search on the web you will find the details.

Unfortunately, once you have them they are usually for life.

Permanent treatments such as RAI ( which I am not a fan of) and thyroid removal do help because it removed what the antibodies are attacking. Some people tolerate thyroid replacement med's while a thyroid is still in their body and some do not. For me - Graves disease helped me make the removal permanent option but it took me a long time.

I for one really don't care about the cause - I only cared about my cure and my cure was to remove my thyroid which allowed me to move on with my life.

Reactions: blackngold

·
Premium Member
19,367 Posts
To be honest with you there are "things" that trigger autoimmune that is lying dormant but the propensity is truly is in the genetics.

If you do a search of your family history, you will probably find relatives with RA, Lupus, Thyroid Disease, Diabetes and so on.

The "cure" for what you have "is" removing the target of attack.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I suppose technically I still have Hashi's, but the symptoms are gone because the target of the attack is gone. One could, I guess, argue that its a "band-aid" but if you ask me, its a darn good one.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Same goes for RAI and TT it's all a big bandaid for what's really causing graves doesn't take it away so what's the point the only thing that i can even come up with between 2008 when my levels were normal to 2011 is a flu vaccine I was forced on by my boss and because it causes antibodies in your system is this possibly antibodies that could trigger graves I can't think of any infection or virus that I had during that time frame:/ other than the flu vaccine anyone wondering what the cause is ??
If your doctor is saying these other "solutions" are just a band-aid, what does he/she propose for a more permanent solution?

Let's say for a moment, just for the sake of argument, that your guess is correct about the flu vaccine triggering your thyroid antibodies. What could you do with that information? What's done is done, and you can't turn back that clock and undo the vaccination. Look forward, not backward. Since you can't impact what's happened in the past, what can you impact in the future?

·
555 Posts
I'll tell you what I think
people prone to these diseases should avoid flu shots!!!
My doctor said ssri for the anxiety but from my experience caused me further unwanted symptoms.
At least they found a cure for hepatitis C wish they could find a cure for auto immune disease's!!!
I know there's nothing I can do to change getting the vaccine .
All these doctors are confusing me they all tell me different things.

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
I think that if you have one of these diseases, they are dormant until something does trigger them. Childbirth seems to be a common one. For me, if I had to pinpoint what I thought might have been the trigger, was a very traumatic incident. It could very well be just a coincidence. I am glad because I have never felt healthier or happier in my life and it is wonderful. I am only sorry it was in my 50's that it happened.

·
555 Posts
It's very disturbing to me that we seem to know more about this disease than the doctor's or even how to read a simple blood test result why would a surgeon tell me that RAI would be better for me than Surgery if it is not ??? I would really really love to find a Endo
that actually has this disease themselves !! I got my labs back today :D naturally my tsh is still way to low but did budge from <0.01 to 0.01 in 2 months time :/

·
Super Gold Veteran
2,766 Posts
I was very fortunate to see a savvy resident when I was tested. He told me that in a GP's training, endocrinology is such a brief part of their education. I saw him on a Friday afternoon. He requested a TSH cascade. He told me after the appointment he had to go back to his text books and thought I was a classic case of Graves disease. When the TSH cascade came back with undetectable TSH, he asked for additional testing since the blood was still at the lab, which came back in abnormal ranges. He apologized to me if I felt like a guinea pig but he was intrigued to see his first case of Graves. I told him I thought he was going to be a fine caring doctor. I wish more doctors were like this young man.

Reactions: Octavia

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
As far as anti anxiety medications - they work and they should be prescribed and taken in you have anxiety.

I think when your thyroid levels - get more consist and your anxiety should begin to subside, it sure did for me.

If my levels get just slightly too high for me anxiety hits again and I have learned to back off on my meds a bit and it usually helps.

For some reason March seems to be the month every year my anxiety amps up and I have labs to confirm that my levels go up.

·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they should be prescribed but because they are just a "bandaid" instead I get prescribed beta blockers and anti depressants ...

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
What thyroid med's are you taking?

·
555 Posts
I am taking 10 mg of methimazole 5 mg 2X a day and Abmbien 10mg at night for sleep .
I thought it was so dumb because she agreed with me that I have anxiety!! and told me that I have anxiety more than I even realize
I don't really understand I am not an addict my best friend who is a alcoholic & sees the same doctor got a prescription for klonopin but because these pill are so addicting she won't prescribe them to me I just don't get it ..

check it out my t4 went way down since my last lab tests two months ago

·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On Monday I'm going to get a pelvic ultrasound.
I keep getting these pains and bloating every other month or so for about 3 years now .
maybe that's just my anxiety too lol.
I'll let you guys know when I find out .

·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not trying to look backward.
I would love to know the cause just as much as every other person who has suffered from graves disease .
I already know there is no cure .
I want to help other people possibly prevent this disease even though I know that's not possible .
I was thinking and wondering if there were anything else and I do remember having a rash on my leg that was very itchy I showed a dermatologist and he told me that it was most likely from my cat that it was little tiny fleas ??
It wasn't a bulls eye rash but it did go away with cortisol cream but turned into these little black head looking things that wouldn't pop then one i did try to pop became permanent could this have been possibly lyme disease I know there I go again thinking in circles :/

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
my allergies went wild while I was hyper and even when I was on anti thyroid med's

I broke out into a hive 3 X a day just prior to my DX and was allergic to dogs cats dust, trees, grass, ragweed, green beans , almonds cabbage and on and on and on.

Now 10 years post TT I am only now allergic to dogs cats and dust - I was elated, my doctor thought I was crazy. I still struggle but not as bad as before when my thyroid hormones were high and coming down on Tapazole.

Your anxiety is from the movement of your thyroid hormones from hyper to hypo. I had wicked anxiety during that time.

What dosage were you on when your Jan 7th labs were drawn? How long were you on that dose?

When did you start methimazole and at what dose?

my results for march 4th 2015

Free T4 1.01 normal range (0.71-1.85) 1.57 is 3/4 of range; you are below

T3 Free 3.3 normal range (2.4-4.2) 3.75 is 3/4 of range; you are below

TSH 0.01 normal range (0.45-4.67) => this needs to be ignored right now, but most doctors want to see TSH so be careful they do not make you hypo -> you are on the way to hypo. Did your doctor reduce your Methimaxzole dose?? 7.5mg and retest in 4 weeks is what I would want done if this were me. My doc took me totally hypo and kept me there - I though I was losing my mind = had some serious issues processing as I went from totally hyper to totally hypo in a matter of 3 months. And you wonder why you have anxiety?? I don't. Lorazapam worked better for me than Ambien for sleep. Does the ambien work for you?

taking 10 mg of methimazole per day

my results for January 7th of this year
my T3 Free 3.8 normal range (2.4-4.2) 3.75 is 3/4 of range- you are still hyper with these labs
Free T4 1.81 normal range (0.71-1.85) 1.57 is 3/4 of range - you are still hyper with these labs
TSH <0.01 normal range (0.45-4.67)

·
555 Posts
I started methimazole in oct of 2011 i started on 30 mg and went back and forth I noticed after about 6 months if I took more than 10 mg that It was too much.
I was usually only taking 5 mg and it wasnt everyday.

Jan 7th I was on 10 mg of methimazole for 3 months
I added the acetyl L-carnintine approx 2 and a half weeks ago

My doctor didn't even bother telling me to reduce my medication but I already planned on cutting it back to 5 mg .

It's funny you mentioned lorazapam.

I was just bearly reading about that drug it helps with anxiety depression and sleep all in one pill nice.
I Don't wonder why I have anxiety recently been dealing with a lot of it due to my findings of my daughter's irregular heart rhythm.
My current pc and Endocrinologist are both just not willing to help me with this issue.
Unless it's a beta blocker or anti depressant.
I might try the beta blocker after i go get the allergy test done on the 27th of march Idk they make me dizzy.
how do I get a 2.5 mg tablet ?

I thought they only come in 5 & 10 mg
do you suggest cutting out the acetyl l carnintine and maybe take 10 mg 3 X a week ?

·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I didn't end up getting the pelvic ultrasound.
I'm wonder if these symptoms of bloating are hormone related or possibly ibs...it's annoying and uncomfortable feeling blah.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts