Thyroid Disease Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! A friend who knows I’ve had a Thyroidectomy has asked me some questions that I thought I might post here.

He has had treatment for throat cancer, including radiation. He then had to have a thyroidectomy to include removal of many lymph nodes, and just found out theres a little tissue left so they are wanting to do the radioactive iodine pill.

Has anyone been presented with this and/or gone through this who can share their experience? He has been through SO MUCH and because he’s in the US and new to his insurance, some things might not be covered.

1. they want to do shots for one week before the pill, which is very expensive. If he doesn’t do this, he is supposed to stop taking his thyroid meds for a week beforehand which sounds really scary for someone with no thyroid. Im not even sure he’s at a good point yet with his levels, he is exhausted all the time.

2. His tissue has reacted to radiation, will this pill add to that?

3. It is of course his option to do this or not, if he opts not to, either forever or just to defer it, what advice would you have?

4. If he opts to do it, what is the experience like?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can't help with too much of your questions, but I do know that people without a thyroid or one that's been destroyed by radioactive Iodine often need both T4 and T3 medicine. So Synthroid and Cytomel or Armour (which is a form of natural dessicated thyroid or NDT). This seems to be almost always the case unless they somehow covert T4 to T3 really well. Hopefully Lovlkn comes by as she has a lot of knowledge on the other questions you had.

·
Super Moderator
6,646 Posts
Radiation is different than the RAI pill. I assume you mean his skin had issues with the radiation treatments for his throat cancer? Your friend should speak with his doctor about his concerns and they can explain. As far as stopping thyroid meds - missing 1 week he may have some Hypo symptoms. The 1/2 life for T4 is 7 days and even after 7 days of missing he will still have thyroid hormones circulating.

Post RAI your friend needs to have both FT-4 and FT-3 labs run to help dial in thyroid hormones. Goal is to be minimum 1/2 range for both and up to 3/4 range depending on how he feels

1 - 3 of 3 Posts